Upgrading Ram For Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KoolStar, Jul 27, 2008.

1. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

@OP: Yes it works. I have it.

What do you mean it's not OEM brand? :confused:

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Kingston is good RAM, however they have several different lines of products. I would NOT recommend the Kingston KVR-series ValueRAM for the MacBook
    The Kingston modules made for, and guaranteed compatible with Macs, are the KTA-MB667... series.

I don't like any RAM with a heatshield for use in the MacBook or iMac, there isn't a lot of room physically in the slots.

DjAmTraX Whatever do you mean by "OEM"? Corsair has never supplied RAM to Apple. Apple uses Hynix, Micron and Samsung RAM, primarily, but they buy in bulk from the foundries, not retail products.

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I think mine is the Value ram product.....it works fine for me, but i dont doubt that there could be some MacBooks that would have problems, maybe i have just been lucky......

6. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

I always order from Crucial memory, they're fantastic.... never had a problem.

OEM memory... good one.

7. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded my Macbook 2.16 GHz with 4GB of Crucial RAM. Very good!

8. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Definitely use Crucial. I believe they even have an app that will scan your computer to make sure you are buying the correct RAM.

9. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I bet it never comes up and says buy Kingston :)

10. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

That's not what it's for... it's so that you can make sure that you are buying RAM that will fit the slots in your MacBook.

If the app is made by Crucial, of course it's going to tell you what type of Crucial RAM to buy.

11. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Maybe someone can open their MacBook and post a picture of the OEM part number.

12. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I don't have a link, but look on newegg.com fast shipping and large selection.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Pointless: the Hynix or Micron or Samsung part number will have no relation to the RAM you can buy retail. They are not sold directly to the consumer under these brands and part numbers.

Attached Files:

14. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

2x 2GB RAM by Samsung can be had on Ebay for $99-free ship. But I could not find the ones in your picture.

[​IMG]

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Which is a pretty average price, devalued by the risk of dealing with an unknown eBay seller.

You are better to stick with a reputable seller who offers guaranteed-Mac-compatible memory, a lifetime warranty, and a no cost (no restocking, no shipping) return if they are defective.