Upgrading RAM for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ltHank, Nov 9, 2008.

1. ltHank macrumors newbie

First of all, I apologize for posting what is a probably an overposted topic, but I didn't really get the 'Understanding Intel Mac RAM' thing, and I'm confused on some of the details.

From Apple System Profiler, I learned the following:
    For computer
    Bus Speed: 800MHz

For memory:
    2x 1GB DDR2 SDRAM 667Mhz

Shouldn't the speed of the memory match the speed of the bus (or have I fallen prey to a computer myth)? Also, though it reads DDR2 SDRAM, the Crucial Website and other places which sell 'Apple Compatible Ram' sell SODIMM pretty well across the board. What gives?

EDIT:: BTW, my laptop is a MacBook Pro 3,1

2. MBPDiva macrumors regular

It isn't necessary for the speed of the memory to match the speed of the bus. If you want to upgrade to DDR2 800Mhz Ram and spend more money, that's on you. :) Also, SODIMM refers to the smaller size or the number of pins in the module.

3. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

just use 667. it's the standard for that type of ram. 800 if you can find it for laptops is too expensive. most of the 800 i have found is for desktops.

4. ltHank thread starter macrumors newbie

So I should just stick with the 667MHz SODIMM stuff then?

5. MBPDiva macrumors regular

Basically. :)

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yes, because 800Mhz SO-DIMMs get downclocked to 667Mhz, and regular DIMMs won't fit.

Bus speed does not need to match. It helps if it does, but it doesn't need to.

7. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I'm also looking to upgrade my MBP's RAM. but should i wait for snow loepard to increase the memory capacity before buying, and what are some good companies to get RAM from