Upgrading RAM help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by harrymerkin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. harrymerkin macrumors member

This may seem a little obvious.

I have a white 24 Inch Imac G5 . . .bought it in 2006. It has the 1gb of memory that came with it. I am doing a lot of design stuff, and need to upgrade my memory . . .very soon.

it says in my owners manual that I can upgrade to 3gb . . .so I am assuming then that there is one slot available to me.

I found a site through a friend, that looks as though it sells reasonably priced memory, so if I was to order some RAM from here: http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php?cPath=115_23

Which one do I get?.

2. RHatton macrumors regular

Order your RAM from here...

www.macsales.com

also you have two slots therefore each slot has 512 MB for a combined memory of 1 GB. If you want to upgrade buy two sticks. If your iMac is capable of 3 GB then upgrade it to either 3 or 4. Most macs that say they are capable of 3 GB are actually capable of 3.2 GB. If the price difference isn't drastic between buying 3 GB and 4 GB then just spring for the 4 GB. Your choice either way, you won't be disappointed with either number.

You will need PC-5300 DDR2 667 MHz.

3. harrymerkin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response!

Does it matter that I would be ordering that from Australia?, I mean with the difference in voltage . . .

4. RHatton macrumors regular

No it won't make a difference. The AC adapter with the imac should automatically convert the voltage anyway and the RAM won't make a difference. Good luck:)

5. belvdr macrumors 603