Upgrading RAM in Early 08 MBP and need Help!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Poin Dexter 078, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Poin Dexter 078, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

Poin Dexter 078 macrumors newbie

So i have had my MBP for over a year now and i was thinking of upgrading the RAM. so i went into my town and bought second hand:-

2 x 2GB DDR2 - PC2-6400s Nanya RAM. ( a make i have never heard of, but upon looking i have found they arent a small company)

so i have placed them in my MBP properly to find out it doesnt turn on, the LED on the front turns on and the CD drive starts up but then nothingness!.

:confused::confused:Can someone help me as to why it wont, and also if this RAM is compatible on my MBP as there arent any lists stating compatible RAM modules.:confused::confused:

Any help would be great!

Alex:)

Ps. Both RAM modules work perfectly in my Fiancée's Windows laptop. so i know they are in good shape.

2. Poin Dexter 078 thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update!

i have been playing around with it for the past 45 minutes and have got it working with the following arrangement:-

Bank0 = Original 1GB stick
    Bank1 = New 2GB stick

and it turns on and works. however if i swap to opposites or put in both 2GB sticks it fails to turn on.

Please can someone help me as to why this is!

if you need more info or Screenshots i can do that no problem

Alex

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I would first try each stick, by itself in bank 0, does the computer boot up and report 2GB? The reason for doing this is to determine if both stick are working properly. Are the stickers on the memory modules the same or are there discrepancies? You want the memory to be matched pairs if at all possible. If the computer does not power up properly with both modules installed, one of them is either different and thus imcompatible with the other, or one is bad.

4. Poin Dexter 078 thread starter macrumors newbie

done this already.

Thanks for the reply.

I have done this already and it seems to be that it wont boot up with either of the 2GB sticks in Bank 0. both work in Bank 1 and are recognised, and both sticks are identical! so there are no descrepencies.

now the only thing i can put it down to is that this model of MBP (September 08 Build, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 duo) only recognises under 2GB in Bank 0 but nothing supports that online!

Both sticks work perfectly in my other halfs laptop so i they arent the problem.

Any other suggestions?? :confused:

:apple:Alex

5. sydenham macrumors regular

I find I have to reset the pram everytime I upgrade ram.

6. Poin Dexter 078 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive thought of that

i gave that idea a thought, however i still dont understand why Bank 0 will not take anything other than the 1GB chip originally set in it! and its frustrating!! lol

i guess 3GB is all i can have with my beautiful MBP at the moment.

i hope someone can hit me up with a good idea as to how to sort this as the 2 mentioned have been done.

Please someone must know?

Alex