Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eatsleepdrivesc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a Mid 2009 Model Macbook Pro 17" with currently 4 Gigs of ram. I contacted Apple and to upgrade to 8 Gigs of ram from them would cost me $600.

( Type of Ram is Apple Memory Module 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x4GB SO-DIMMs )

That is a ton! I was shocked.

I looked at newegg.com and it looks to be around 250 bucks to upgrade and buy ram from there.

So I have a quick couple of questions.

1. What brand of Ram do you think is the best?
2. Do you guys know of any other places to buy it from for less?
3. Will this void my Applecare warranty?

I looked up how to switch it and that seems quite simple so no help needed there.

Thanks in advance,
Eatsleepdrivesc

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a Mid 2009 Model Macbook Pro 17" with currently 4 Gigs of ram. I contacted Apple and to upgrade to 8 Gigs of ram from them would cost me $600.

( Type of Ram is Apple Memory Module 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x4GB SO-DIMMs )

That is a ton! I was shocked.

I looked at newegg.com and it looks to be around 250 bucks to upgrade and buy ram from there.

So I have a quick couple of questions.

1. What brand of Ram do you think is the best?
2. Do you guys know of any other places to buy it from for less?
3. Will this void my Applecare warranty?

I looked up how to switch it and that seems quite simple so no help needed there.

Thanks in advance,
Eatsleepdrivesc

1. I was recommended and then just installed 2x4GB G.Skill RAM sticks..they work great.

2. Picked them up from Newegg.com for under $200.

3. It is a super-easy install (tons of how-to vids all voer the internet) and no it definitely does not void your warranty (unless you break something that is! haha)

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I've got crucial in mine (although it's only 4 gigs), and it works great. It won't void your warranty (even though people at the apple store will try to convince you that even looking at your computer wrong will void it - they just want to suck the extra cash out of you)

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
+1

I just upgraded the same machine with 8GB of RAM...

I Bought from OWC for $249, free shipping... And, they have an offer out now where you can return your ORIGINAL APPLE 4GB RAM-- 2x2GB sticks--- for a $50 rebate.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

Afterall, what are you gonna do with the 4GB after you install the 8GB??
btw, it was pretty easy to install... you just need a small phillips head screwdriver... not sure of the size of the screwdriver...

Good luck

Eatsleepdrivesc

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
CW Jones, I went ahead and bought the G-Skill ones that you gave the link to as they were the cheapest! I even got a free solar power charger for the car. lol

I cant wait for them to come in~

Thanks everyone!!!

CW Jones

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2009
CT
lol yup I got the same thing as well. Your in luck... its a TWIN pack of useless solar car chargers! lol I wouldn't even bother opening them... put them on E-bay and sell the set for $20.

I opened one... ya it does nothing haha I was hoping to get a little shock when it was out collecting in the sun... nothing at all though.

You will be happy with the RAM, I know I sure am! Install can be a bit tricky, word of advice when you put the new RAM in, slide it in at what seems to be "too steep" of an angle. It might sound weird but when you see it and take the old RAM out you will see what I mean. Don't get worried if it just beeps after you put it in, probably didn't put it in far enough.

I just pass on mistakes I made haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.