Upgrading Ram in Macbook PRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sdahe, May 13, 2008.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello guys,

I'm thinking about upgrading the ram in my MacBook PRO. I have MBP 2.4Ghz with 2GB of Ram and I would like to take it all the way to 4GB of RAM. My question is... does it really make that big difference?... is going to cost me a couple of hundred dollars and I want to be sure...

Thanks guys

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

the simple answer is..... it depends.

If you're only running relatively lightweight applications, then the difference is fairly small. If, on the other hand, you run heavyweight stuff such as Parallels/VMWare Fusion, Adobe CS3 or that kinda thing, then it's well worth it - everything is that much more responsive under load.

..... typing this on a 17" MBP with 4gb RAM ..... :D

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well... I work as a photographer and I do a lot of photo editing work using Nikon Capture NX and Photoshop CS3 so I guess it will make a big difference with 4GB... where can I buy this memory from?...

Thanks

4. NP3 macrumors regular

Yes, if you're doing heavy duty photo work, you could benefit from the ram. Photoshop is widely used in computer and ram testing. (because it can use so much)

Most people here go with Crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com

Also, if you're really curious, look at the amount of "Page outs" and "swaps used" by opening Activity Monitor > System Memory. I've read if you have any of those, you would benefit from more ram.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you live in North America, there's no way 4 GB is going to cost a couple of hundred dollars if you buy third party RAM from a reputable dealer. You do not have to pay Apple's massively inflated RAM prices.

MR Guides : Hardware : Buying RAM

6. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

7. phatcat macrumors regular

Yes. That should work. However you don't even need to search for memory branded for Apple. I'm running OCZ in my pro and adata in my mini. No problems. 4gb memory was under $80USD

8. eruptpure macrumors newbie

Page outs and swaps used ???

Hello there: And what do these things mean? I am considering a similar upgrade and am new to mac, so what do these things mean? Is there some kind of guide on these boards anywhere where I can know what kind of maintenance I should need to keep my MPB optimized?

Cheers,
    e

9. jtus macrumors member

10. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

You can buy from OWC or Crucial. Both get my votes.

11. lol macrumors newbie

If you read some of the 4gb ram reviews on NewEgg, you will see that sometimes the MBP rejects it. So, make sure you're buying a compatible brand.

I believe this works for MBP (It's under my bookmarks MBP folder): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134560

12. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I think it really makes a diff when you run something like Parallels or vmWare Fusion. That is my experience, your mileage may vary.

13. Zel macrumors regular

14. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

I was planning on buying from OWC as they offer the memory stick rebate....which makes it about the same price as the value pack from Newegg. I am not sure what I would do with the old stick anyway.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I use Photoshop a bit (CS3) and I don't think it even takes up the 2GB I have. Therefore, I don't know that adding another 2GB would be all that helpful. It won't hurt, but it won't necessarily help much. In fact, a test before the latest MacBook revision had the MacBook running Photoshop CS3 slightly faster than the MacBook Pro. I think it was at macworld.com.

Anywho, you'll be fine with 2GB for photo editing. Now if you're editing video, you should hold out for the 16-core Mac Pro. :)

16. aneks macrumors regular

I got an MBP from the generation before the SR. So i am limited to 3gb. but have just gone from 2 to 3gb and so far I am noticing that my machine chugs less with multiple apps. best 40buck upgrade ever !

17. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

That's nice but I don't understand why this place charges me more for shipping than the memory...

Look at this... :confused:
    [​IMG]

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you bought your unit at an applestore within the last two weeks, you qualify for the apple ram buyback program. Take the machine and receipt to a manager, mention the program. They technically buy your machine back, install 4 gigs for $150 (and keep the original), install it, test it, and hand it back to you.

No hassles, no waiting, no worries.

19. naid macrumors regular

Thumbs up for upgrading to 4GB, but $77 for shipping is outrageous. Your memory seems to be DDR, so you must have the previous generation MBP. I would recommend buying from OWC (macsales.com).

20. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It seems you're in Puerto Rico. So they (FedEx, UPS) always change more, a lot more, even though you have a USPS ZIP.

Consider asking to have it sent by the postal service, or FedEx ground.

Yes, I know -- ground seems silly when it has to go overseas. But FedEx will allow mixed-mode shipping, for example from NY to Hawaii ground (which I've done many times). All that means is that they will carry it as ground to CA, then put it on a plane for the last leg. It's much cheaper than air all the way. The last time I checked, UPS doesn't have such a service.

Why don't you check with Crucial direct, to see how their shipping goes? They might send it all the way via the PO, which probably wouldn't cost too much. Or shop other vendors. Somebody has to have reasonable shipping to PR.

21. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Well, finally got a great deal for 4GB in Ebay... I bought the Kingston 4GB kit for the Mac for $69.85 and free shipping to Puerto Rico. This is the same kit that you find in Best Buy for $344.... nice!!!!

[​IMG]