Upgrading Ram in MBP 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alvito, Aug 7, 2009.

  1. Alvito macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #1
    Hi.

    My MBP has 2GB DDR3 1066mhz ram right now. I want to upgrade it to at least 4GB of DDR3 1066mhz ram.

    I have a few options, and I'm hoping someone on these message boards can help point me in the right direction.

    1st Option - Kingston HyperX 4GB Kit 5-5-5-15 Timings $137 CAD
    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020963&cid=RAM.187.778

    2nd Option - Corsair PC8500 1066MHz 4GB DDR3 SODIMM Apple Laptop Memory - $277 CAD

    http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4482095&CatId=4153

    3rd Option - Kingston Value Ram PC8500 1066Mhz 4GB DDR3 $96 CAD

    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=024194&cid=RAM.188

    4th Option - NUIMPACT 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1066MHz (PC3 8500) 204-Pin SO-DIMM Memory for Apple Notebook - $150 CAD

    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=020630&cid=RAM.188

    I think the best Bang for the buck is the Kingston HyperX Memory. Your thoughts?

    Can anyone confirm this rumor:

    If I upgrade my ram, and I need to send the laptop back in for repair, then I will have to insert the original ram?
     
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #2
    I can confirm that Apple is known for taking out third-party ram.
     
  3. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #3
    Can you elaborate?

    They take it out and keep it? Or they take it out to test the laptop, and if my ram was the problem then I'm SOL?
     
  4. rye9 macrumors 65816

    rye9

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Location:
    New York (not NYC)
    #4
    Have you checked crucial.com as well? Anyways, make sure you upgrade it to 2 identical sticks (4GB = 2 x 2GB sticks) however you decide to do it for optimal performance.
     
  5. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #5
    I've added two more options to the list:

    OCZ - OCZ PC3-8500 1066MHz Mac SODIMM 4GB Kit Timings 7-7-7-20$120 CAD

    http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=023180&cid=RAM.188

    iRam 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1066 (PC8500) Memory For Apple Model IR4GSO1066D3K $71 CAD

    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1066 (PC8500) Memory for Apple Notebook - Retail $81 CAD

    I've never heard of iRam until now. Never heard of G.Skill.

    I have the latest aluminum MBP, the ram I need is 204 pin right?
     
  6. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #6
    Yea. People buys from OWC or Crucial here, mainly, and they have been happy, no problems.

    If you send it to repair and it has 3rd party RAM in it, Apple might blame it as a cause of problem, so always if you send it to Apple, put original RAM and HD in.
     
  7. macboy4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2009
    #7
    They took my RAM out of my PowerBook G4, put it in a little baggy, and stuck it in the box. They did determine that the RAM was the cause of my problem (hogwash), but they didn't keep it.
     
  8. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #8
    OWC? Did you mean OCZ?
     
  9. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #9
  10. staticliner macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2007
    Location:
    Cleveland, OH
    #10
    When I sent in my old Powerbook 1.67 they said RAM was one of the issues. The good news is that they put the 3rd Party RAM in an anti-static bag and shipped it back. To be on the safe side I would just keep the original RAM in on the slim chance that you have to send/take it in.
     
  11. Alvito thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #11
    Yeah, thats the general consensus to stay on the safe side and keep the old ram.

    But if I can find a buyer to buy it, I think I would sell it to help cover the cost of upgrading to 4GB.

    Right now I have Windows XP 32bit installed, should I change it to windows 7 when it comes out in October?
     
  12. combine macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2009
    #12
    if you requires Windows on your system, you can consider upgrading to win7 to take advantage of the 64bit architecture, if not you can save up your dough and use the XP
     

Share This Page