Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Treymac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hey guys. I'm planning on upgrading the memory in my powerbook to 1GB. The only problem is that I've heard a lot of stories about Apple and the kinds of ram that you can use. Does the ram have to actually be official Apple memory, or can any other ram manufacturer work? Also, what are the specs of the memory, like the MHz and stuff.

Thanks.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
No, you can buy any RAM (highly recommend Crucial) that is PC133. So just look for PC133 RAM, but make sure you do not go above 1GB, just buy 2 512MB.

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Hey guys. I'm planning on upgrading the memory in my powerbook to 1GB. The only problem is that I've heard a lot of stories about Apple and the kinds of ram that you can use. Does the ram have to actually be official Apple memory, or can any other ram manufacturer work? Also, what are the specs of the memory, like the MHz and stuff.

Thanks.

If you got to http://www.crucial.com and use their memory advisor tool you ll get to know which RAM you need then you can look it up on various shopping sites to get the best buy.
Thats what I did.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The 512 Mb modules must be PC133, 16-chip, and they must have the Serial Presence Detect values correctly written. How do you know if the SPDs are written correctly? You don't, until the module either does or doesn't work in your Mac. Sorry to contradict you Noodle, but there are definitely PC generic modules out there that will not work in the Powerbooks. As a general rule avoid Kingston ValueRAM in Macs (but the Kingston KTA- series are good) and avoid RAM with heatspreaders on them.

The safest course of action is to choose a reputable seller who is Mac-aware and will test and guarantee compatibility with your specific model Mac, and offer a no-charge return for replacement if it doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.