Upgrading RAM in my iMac i7 ??

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by BrutusMaximus, Aug 10, 2011.

1. BrutusMaximus macrumors member

BrutusMaximus

I have a 2010 iMac 27" i7, the 2.93. Has the ATI 5750 1 gig card, and the stock 4 gigs of RAM. I've been playing more games now with bootcamp installed, and more games being available through steam / app store.

my question is, is it worth it to upgrade to say 16 gigs of RAM ($150 from OWC) ? is there a noticable difference in gameplay since it's still a 1 gig mobile graphics card?

2. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Most modern games are still 32bit which means they won't use anymore than 2GB of RAM so it really depends what other programs you have running in the background when you game. I think 4GB is ideal for now, 8GB is VERY cheap so it may make more sense to just to go 8GB for now, 16GB is total overkill unless you are running the entire CS5 software library in the background.

3. BrutusMaximus thread starter macrumors member

BrutusMaximus

That's what i thought too. It'd be cool to say i have 16 gigs of ram, and really for a $2200 computer, $150 for that much RAM really isn't that bad of a deal....i remember how expensive RAM used to cost.

4. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember paying £100+ for 2GB of ram about 4 years or so ago!

If you have $150 spare and nothing else to spend it on then why not? Suppose if you upgrade to 16GB you won't need to spend another penny upgrading the RAM until you are done with the iMac.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could also spend half of that and have 12GB by just buying one 8GB kit and adding it to the original 4GB.