Upgrading Ram in Octocore 2009

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rbro, Mar 12, 2009.

1. rbro macrumors member

So if I get the 6GB RAM that comes stock with the 2.26 8-core and I decide to upgrade the RAM later, do all 8 slots have to match? Or can I have like 4x1Gb and 4X2GB for a total 12GB?

2. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Why don't you configure it with 4x2GB RAM and purchase the rest later on?

3. MADMAXX macrumors member

I am fortunate that I have access to ram at insanely cheap prices and I have ordered the 8gb upgrade (£69 quid)

Why? Because the way I figured it is as follows.

Buy it stock with 6x1Gb and it will leave you with only 2 slots for upgrades. Therefore you will be chucking that ram as soon as you want more slots.

Buy it with 4x2Gb (£69) and you are have 4 slots free. Much more space for some decent memory. So for £69 you have a viable upgrade path to 24gb of ram without needing to chuck ***** in the bin

Downside? EST ship date is 3 weeks. However, if everyone keeps ordering 6's I can see that dropping.

4. rbro thread starter macrumors member

Then I have to wait 3-5 weeks and I don't know if I have that kind of patience:rolleyes: I can live with 6GB for now, but I'm curious if I can do 4x1 and 4x2 later if and when I want to.

5. amoergosum macrumors 6502

Is that a fact?

6. rbro thread starter macrumors member

Also, any chance they'll release Snow Leopard at this March 24th event? Should I wait for that, or would they honor it as a free upgrade this close to purchase?

7. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I don't think they would do that.

8. rbro thread starter macrumors member

That's what it shows in the online store when I change the config.

9. MADMAXX macrumors member

Ive been reliably informed by a contact at apple UK that I wont be waiting 3 weeks for my mac. They expect that to drop drastically.

Funny though that when you order 32Gb it drops down to 6 days again? Is it because youre dropping £4k for memory.

10. rbro thread starter macrumors member

Says 5-7 days now for 4x2 (8GB) RAM. Also I called Apple and they said as long as they're in matched pairs, any combo will be fine and won't affect performance. So you can do 4x2 PLUS 4x1 etc. Anyway, I'll be jumping on the 4x2 for now.:D

11. MADMAXX macrumors member

Eh not true. Max performance is obtained by using triple memory as its a 3 channel mem controller on each proc. Max capacity is achieved by using all 8 bays, but doing so will only use 2 channels per proc.

12. MADMAXX macrumors member

Still 3 weeks in uk :(

13. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I just checked....same here in Germany.

14. MADMAXX macrumors member

I reckon all initial build to orders will come direct out of Hon hai. when I ordered my blackbook it was BTO and shipped direct. Skipped Cork completely

15. MADMAXX macrumors member

And as if to prove my point............. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=666626