Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AzRocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
I'm going to buy an iMac20" Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz. when Leopard comes out. I want to (if possible) upgrade the RAm from 1 GB to 2 GB. Is there any easy way to do this, without spending tons of money to get it directly from Apple. If i buy 1 GB RAM could i add that to the computer to make it 2 GB? I'm really a n00b on this type of stuff so please make instructions a simple as possible. THanks so much!

jnash

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2007
Michigan
I'm going to buy an iMac20" Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz. when Leopard comes out. I want to (if possible) upgrade the RAm from 1 GB to 2 GB. Is there any easy way to do this, without spending tons of money to get it directly from Apple. If i buy 1 GB RAM could i add that to the computer to make it 2 GB? I'm really a n00b on this type of stuff so please make instructions a simple as possible. THanks so much!

Installing ram on the imac's are pretty easy you can google how to do so, and as far as getting ram I recommend maybe going to http://www.newegg.com and finding whatever is on sale I am going to upgrade to 4 gig cause from 2 to 4 gigs its only like 50-80 dollar difference.

AzRocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
my question baisically is if i buy a 1 GB could i add it to the 1 Gb it comes with to make it 2 GB or do have to buy a 2 GB.

Nobody Famous

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2007
my question baisically is if i buy a 1 GB could i add it to the 1 Gb it comes with to make it 2 GB or do have to buy a 2 GB.

If you buy your iMac with 1 GB of RAM directly from Apple they will put in two 512 MB sticks of RAM to equal 1 GB. If you want to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM, you'll have to buy two 1 GB sticks.
To get a 1.5 GB configuration, you could buy just one stick of 1 GB RAM and place it in a slot formerly occupied by a 512 MB RAM stick, but with different size sticks inserted, you'll lose what they call "dual channeling" processing.
Essentially, without dual channeling, you'll take a 5 - 8% hit in video processing (or at least that's what I've read on these forums).

FWIW, I've decided to buy two sticks of 1 GB RAM to upgrade my 20" iMac to 2 GB. I always watch the RAM prices at dealRAM.com

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
If you buy your iMac with 1 GB of RAM directly from Apple they will put in two 512 MB sticks of RAM to equal 1 GB. If you want to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM, you'll have to buy two 1 GB sticks.
To get a 1.5 GB configuration, you could buy just one stick of 1 GB RAM and place it in a slot formerly occupied by a 512 MB RAM stick, but with different size sticks inserted, you'll lose what they call "dual channeling" processing.
Essentially, without dual channeling, you'll take a 5 - 8% hit in video processing (or at least that's what I've read on these forums).

FWIW, I've decided to buy two sticks of 1 GB RAM to upgrade my 20" iMac to 2 GB. I always watch the RAM prices at dealRAM.com

They put in 2 x 512MB??? You sure about that? Check http://www.apple.com and their store states the 1GB is sold as 1 piece - been like that since the new iMacs were launched so not sure where you're getting your info from. I ordered my iMac with 1GB and it came as 1 stick. I bought additional RAM from a 3rd party vendor and it works fine.

AzRocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
so... can anyone confirm if the new iMacs come with 2x512 MB or 1x1 GB?

AzRocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
thanks! a couple more questions:

1. if i want to upgrade it to 2 GB RAM, what is the best way to do this. Should I just buy a 1 GB RAM from someplace like macsales.com or do i have to buy 2 GB of RAM.

2. which is better ram: OWC, Micron, Samsung or Techworks (im looking on macsales.com)

3. i read somewhere that you have to have only apple RAM installed to get support at a genius bar. is this true?

Thanks everyone for your help!

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
It definitely comes with 1 x 1GB. Can't remember who said 2 x 512MB but they are dead wrong when referring to the new aluminum iMacs.

Installing the RAM is literally as easy as putting the unit face down on a cloth and unscrewing once screw. You then pop the extra ram into the empty slot.

To answer your questions:

1. Buy 3rd party RAM unless you're a fan of paying three times as much
2. Not sure
3. If your unit is defective and they can blame 3rd party ram on causing the issue, they might. However, I don't think it's likely. If you have an issue, just be sure to remove the 3rd party RAM before sending it in.

AzRocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
You're right. But you might want to buy a 2G stick just in case you want to go to 4G later on.....

If i buy a 2GB stick and add it to the computer to make 3 GB- wont i run into the problem that were discussed above?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.