Upgrading RAM on 21.5 inch

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jack25, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Jack25 macrumors regular

Jack25

Probably been asked already, but is it possible at all to upgrade ram on the new 21 inch iMac myself, or would I have to pay the ridiculous price for Apple to do it for me?

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

You can't upgrade the RAM. Only on the 27 you can. I don't know if even Apple can upgrade it.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes but you'll have to crack the case open to do it.

I'm sure iFixit will publish a stripdown as soon as they get hold of one and they'll rate how difficult it is.

4. Jack25 thread starter macrumors regular

Jack25

You can upgrade from 8gb to 16gb on the site, but for £160 extra. :eek:

5. bbkr macrumors member

Take a look at teardown photos. Upgrading RAM looks like piece of cake, with slim fingers and manual skills you can probably even do it without removing logic board.

6. bbydon macrumors 6502a

Don't you have to get to the other side of the logic board.
    Meaning pull it out. Looks like it by the photo.

7. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I was thinking that too. Looks like it may be possible. Judging by the photos from that Japanese website, if you unscrew the 3 screws holding the fan in place, you can get right into the ram without removing anything else (at least thats how it looks from the photos).

Also in those photos, I noticed the slot where the blade style SSD could be used. Too bad there wasn't a closer look at the pins. It's a white connector above the ethernet port, running the width of the I/O section.

After seeing that the screen pops out nicely, I am going to just opt for the Fusion Drive as the only option and will just put more ram in myself once warranty expires. Maybe even a different disk too depending upon what is found out in the upcoming days - either way this iMac looks EASIER to access the insides than the previous model!

8. lozpop macrumors 6502

Yeah of course you can when you buy it, but I don't know if Apple upgrades it after you buy it.