Upgrading RAM on a 2008 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by emerald`, Dec 28, 2012.

1. emerald` macrumors newbie

Just picked one up used and would like to upgrade the RAM. I've read I can upgrade it to 6GB but because RAM isn't packaged in a set of two 3gb sticks I'm wondering if I can pick up two 4gb sticks and even though two of those gb will go to waste or if that will cause problems. Looking for package 4gb+2gb deals on ebay comes with serious markup. I paid the same price for 16gb ram as a couple vendors are trying to pull for 6gb.

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

if put 2x4gb sticks in will suffer a lot of kernel panics you need 1x2gb+1x4gb.best bet to buy separately not as package from a good retailer like owc/ ebuyer etc depending what country in.

3. emerald` thread starter macrumors newbie

If anyone's been in a similar situation recently and can point me towards anyone that'd be appreciated. I've cruised both ebay and google and am not seeing anything too attractive. The cheapest ebay deal I've found is someone packaging 6GB for $80+ and it's just a generic third party product. Was hoping I could find a name brand for no more than $60. Are they able to get away with these prices because this ram just isn't produced anymore?

4. sounddesigner macrumors regular

look on crucial or corsair website and they will tell you the exact speed and configurations that will work on your machine

5. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd