Upgrading Ram on i7 Mid 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ftbs2021, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ftbs2021 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I got a 13" macbook pro with a 2.9 GHz core i7 processor and was wondering if I could upgrade the ram to 16 gb. Mac's website says it's maxed at 8 gb but I am hoping it's not.

I run a lot of video/ photo editing software simultaneously and max out the ram often so it would be nice to have 16 gb available.

Would it work/make a noticeable difference to upgrade to 16 gb (obviously if it works I will notice it) or am I stuck at the 8 gb cap? Has anyone that tried this have any advice?

Thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your computer will work fine with 16GB of RAM. I'd suggest checking out Corsair, Crucial and g.skill. You don't have to buy "Mac specific" RAM, it's the same as the normal PC stuff. Just read through the reviews on Newegg or Amazon for other Mac users and their experiences.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

With some simple research on this forum or google, you could've found out that your computer will take 16GB with no issues at all.

In fact, the theoretical maximum it can take is 32GB as the chipset can support it, but 16GB SO-DIMMs don't exist yet.

4. SellYourMacBook macrumors member

Just make sure you get 1600Mhz ram,

On amazon they have komputrrbay 16Gb 1600mhz for $59.99 free shipping

It's off brand but works great ! Also has many positive reviews..

5. ftbs2021 thread starter macrumors newbie