Upgrading RAM on Macbook 15inch mid2012, max 8GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jess112, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Jess112 macrumors newbie

Hi there

Would like some advice on upgrading my RAM on my macbook 15inch mid2012 model, i am needing more ram for intensive video editing tasks on the go so currently considering the option of upgrading my ram from 8GB to 16GB

I spoke to Apple about this but they said 'strongly advises against this' as 'MAX is 8GB', although from research i have seen a lot of people still upgrading to 16GB. And I wonder if they are advising from following their policies or if it will actually be a hardware threat to the macbook?

Any advice on best/priced websites to buy the RAM from or if it is a bad idea to upgrade in general and leave it at 8GB?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Apple rep is wrong. There is no reason not to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, if you need it. It works perfectly well, with zero problems. Apple has a history of conservative statements regarding the maximum RAM in Mac models. Many, if not most of the recent Macs with user-serviceable RAM can easily handle more RAM than Apple states is the maximum.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many reputable brands, any one of which will work fine. Unless you're buying a really cheap brand, RAM is RAM, for the most part. Make sure it has a decent warranty, as occasionally you can get a bad RAM chip from anyone.

5. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

FWIW, I'm running Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB in my mid-2012 without issue.

6. foxkoneko macrumors 6502

I got 16gb on my early 2011 15inch so it'd be weird if the later one couldn't handle that ;)

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

8. Jess112 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I bit the bullet and bought the crucial ones! I'm going to get a Phillips screw driver #00

I was watching their installation guide video and the woman said to use an ESB strap to prevent electrical discharge or something?

Do I also need this? Any safety precautions also (so I don't damage the MacBook)I need to take if I don't have the strap?

Thanks