Upgrading RAM on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RM48, Apr 12, 2008.

1. RM48 macrumors newbie

I am new to this so sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly entails upgrading the RAM on a Macbook Pro using memory purchased from a third party (OWC, MacMall....)? Meaning, is it a difficult task to upgrade the memory? Would this void any type of warranty on the notebook?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

does not void warranty, requires removing three little screws to remove the plate covering it...and the battery, so yeah its very easy

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Agreed. Very easy. You won't have any problems.

4. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

As a follow-up question to the OP's, can I literally use any brand of ram in my 2.2 SR MBP? I'd use the stuff directly from Apple; however, it seems rather pricey in comparison.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This this has been discussed to death. As long as it is the right speed and such. Recommended places newegg, crucial, OWC....

6. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about upgrading from 2Gb to 4Gb of Ram because I think my Macbook Pro is starting to run a bit slugish, but don't know if I will see any difference.

I use my computer for mainly web browsing and programming. Maybe a bit of photo work, but no more than web graphics and holiday snaps.

It's only £56 from Crucial for the upgrade.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Try running the apps you usually have open & use,go into in the activity monitor>system memory,the page outs should be alot less than the page in's ( cant remember the exact ratio )

More RAM is always a good thing

8. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I just upgraded my MBP last week from 2 to 4GB of memory. It made a big difference in performance and I'm glad I spend the $80. Here is a useful link if you have questions on how to replace the memory.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_Pro_Memory_DIY_Replacement_Instructions.pdf

You can't go wrong by upgrading the memory.

9. a4abt macrumors regular

Considering how cheap RAM is now, if you have the $$ buy it!

10. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I buy from dms.com. They have a great lifetime warranty and a very easy to navigate site.

11. comptr macrumors 65816

I just upgraded my ram in my macbook pro today and it does not void the warranty and took about less than 5 minutes total.

12. pingouin macrumors newbie