Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RM48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I am new to this so sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly entails upgrading the RAM on a Macbook Pro using memory purchased from a third party (OWC, MacMall....)? Meaning, is it a difficult task to upgrade the memory? Would this void any type of warranty on the notebook?

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
does not void warranty, requires removing three little screws to remove the plate covering it...and the battery, so yeah its very easy

Arkanok

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2007
Agreed. Very easy. You won't have any problems.

As a follow-up question to the OP's, can I literally use any brand of ram in my 2.2 SR MBP? I'd use the stuff directly from Apple; however, it seems rather pricey in comparison.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
As a follow-up question to the OP's, can I literally use any brand of ram in my 2.2 SR MBP? I'd use the stuff directly from Apple; however, it seems rather pricey in comparison.

This this has been discussed to death. As long as it is the right speed and such. Recommended places newegg, crucial, OWC....

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
I am thinking about upgrading from 2Gb to 4Gb of Ram because I think my Macbook Pro is starting to run a bit slugish, but don't know if I will see any difference.

I use my computer for mainly web browsing and programming. Maybe a bit of photo work, but no more than web graphics and holiday snaps.

It's only £56 from Crucial for the upgrade.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I am thinking about upgrading from 2Gb to 4Gb of Ram because I think my Macbook Pro is starting to run a bit slugish, but don't know if I will see any difference.

I use my computer for mainly web browsing and programming. Maybe a bit of photo work, but no more than web graphics and holiday snaps.

It's only £56 from Crucial for the upgrade.

Try running the apps you usually have open & use,go into in the activity monitor>system memory,the page outs should be alot less than the page in's ( cant remember the exact ratio )

More RAM is always a good thing

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I am new to this so sorry for the newbie question, but what exactly entails upgrading the RAM on a Macbook Pro using memory purchased from a third party (OWC, MacMall....)? Meaning, is it a difficult task to upgrade the memory? Would this void any type of warranty on the notebook?

I just upgraded my MBP last week from 2 to 4GB of memory. It made a big difference in performance and I'm glad I spend the $80. Here is a useful link if you have questions on how to replace the memory.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_Pro_Memory_DIY_Replacement_Instructions.pdf

You can't go wrong by upgrading the memory.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I buy from dms.com. They have a great lifetime warranty and a very easy to navigate site.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I just upgraded my ram in my macbook pro today and it does not void the warranty and took about less than 5 minutes total.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.