Upgrading RAM on Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gilbert1020, May 24, 2009.

1. gilbert1020 macrumors regular

gilbert1020

Is it recommended to upgrade the RAM
    from the standard 2GB to 4GB.
    Is the performance on 4GB RAM clearly better or is it hardly noticeable,
    and if it is noticeable, on what occasions?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Dude it all depends on what u planning on doing with your MB.

3. gilbert1020 thread starter macrumors regular

gilbert1020

I would be writing papers, surfing the web, email, music, watching videos, blogging. etc. no intensive video editing nor photo editing aside from iPhoto and iMovie.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

well u should be fine with 2GB but since the 4GB upgrade is pretty cheap around 60 bucks its worth upping your RAM for when you wanna do some heavy work.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have an iMac prev gen that only came with 1GB RAM...the upgrade to 4GB was very good coming from the 1GB... but one of my friends had a spare 1Gb laying around from when he upgraded his iMac and so I tested 2 vs 4 and the difference wasn't that great a performance difference...

I just depends on what you use the machine for and justifying the cost of the upgrade... RAM is cheap, why not...

6. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Doing those things I don't think you will see much of a difference. If you don't notice things going slowly I would hold off until you feel you need it. The cost of RAM is pretty low and should keep coming down slowly.

I am running with 2GB and the only time I notice things slow down is if I am encoding lots of video and working on a few other projects at the same time. I am planning on upgrading soon though.