Upgrading RAM on mid 2007 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by harrybalzac, May 9, 2011.

1. harrybalzac macrumors newbie

So I bought my Macbook in August 2007 and want to upgrade the RAM to 3 or 4GB. It says the max it can support is 3GB, so what would happen if I put two 2GB sticks, instead of 1GB and 2GB sticks? I read in another thread for a different macbook that even though apple says it can only take 4, it can actually support 6. Is this the case for all macbooks? What is the best brand for these macbooks?

I'm using Snow Leopard 10.6.5

Don't know anything about computers, so I'll put the info up just in case:

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Thanks for any help!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Brand doesn't matter a whole lot. If you put in 2x2GB sticks, it will only address 3GB total. If you put in more, you will have problems. Just be sure to get DDR2 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can put 2 2Gb sticks in it. But it'll only be able to use 3.3Gb of it. I've found that it runs a bit better with the 2x2 rather than with 1Gb and a 2Gb stick.

4. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

I agree with Intell, running 2x2GB not only allows the system to use 3.3GB instead of 3GB but it also allows the ram to run dual channel. I'm sure it is not ceteris paribus, but I have been able to watch 1080P video with 2x2GB in but not with a 2gb and a 1gb stick in.

5. mcdonap macrumors member

I also have a 2007 MB, and I went with 2x2GB based on some performance data I'd read on the OWC site. The info basically says what I've quoted from Intell and AWallen90 plus it backs it up with some tests.

I have had no issues at all with the upgrade, and like Cheffy Dave, I ordered from OWC and was very happy with them.

Good Luck!

6. harrybalzac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna buy 2 2gb sticks from OWC. Is it simply a plug and play or do I have to put it in and reformat my computer so it reads it properly?

7. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

absolutely not. Just turn the computer off (completely), pull battery, unscrew 3 captive screws on the RAM door. slider the RAM stick to the other direction until it pops out, and then stick the new RAM in the same direction. Reverse from there and turn on computer

takes about a minute total. When reinstalling the RAM door I push the metal cushioning straight down with my driver and slide the door closed over it. sounds confusing but you'll understand when you get to that step