Upgrading RAM & SSD of 13" Mid-2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m7ammed, Aug 1, 2011.

1. m7ammed macrumors regular

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I would personally buy the Corsair RAM. I have one right now ATM, a 1333MHz 8GB, and it works pretty well. Significant speed boost over my 2GB RAM.

I personally don't own any of the SSDs, but from what I've read on this forum, Samsung 470 and Crucial M4 (with Firmware 2 update) are pretty good SSDs. If you are worried about having to pay around $300 for a 180GB or $400 for 250GB, then go with Seagate Momentus XT 500GB, which only costs about $100.
    Look for a user name 'Philflow.' He has various SSDs, including the Momentus XT. He should be able to help you out on choosing SSDs.

3. kauff macrumors newbie

I don't follow the market too closely myself but I've heard good things about the OCZ Vertex 3 line. I'm upgrading to an SSD for my MBP and that's the one I'm going to buy.

4. robertbrian23 macrumors member

how does the SSD from apple store fair with the intel or other slick brands? any benchmarks? thanks.

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

All I know is Apple's stock SSDs are slow when compared to SSDs of similar price, but it's not the worst. The good thing about getting Apple's stock SSD is you don't have to worry about when new updates role out, such as 10.7.3, or the firmware updates.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is a SATA III SSD and he will pay a price premium for it only to see no benefit since his 2010 MBP is SATA II only. OP should stick with a SATA II SSD.

Barefeats has some tests comparing Apple OEM SSD to others. I would not get too hung up on benchmark tests. In real world performance, any of the newer SATA II drives will perform similarly for the OP.

7. m7ammed thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going for the RAM upgrade of now and ordering the corsair reviews seem to be good. I will do more research on the SSD

8. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I just ordered the Corsair kit from NewEgg...I'm excited! :D

9. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

I used the OWC SSD in my 2007 MacBook, and it still loads up every app faster then my new 2011 iMac!
    Things I considered regarding SSD is the SandForce controller, the drive does some needed maintenance in the background to run at full speed over time.
    Check out some of the articles on their site at http://macsales.com
    They compare a bunch of drives.
    Have Fun!

10. smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

i can recommend the crucial RAM for your MBP, make sure you get the right version for your model i.e 1067mhz, the crucial website has a configurator so you can't go wrong!... see how that goes first (before going down the SSD route) you will definately notice a big difference in performance, RAM is really cheap so a no brainer IMHO

as far as SSD goes I'm keeping watching brief on trim support for third party drives once that is sorted I'll probably pull the trigger at some point.

11. smj996c macrumors newbie

smj996c

it fails miserably on the price benchmark ;-)

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would not say that. Adding a 128GB SSD to a base MBO increases the price by $250. This gives you a SSD covered by the original warranty and with native TRIM support.

I just looked on Amazon and the 120GB Intel 320 is $232 and the 120GB Samsung 470 is $235.

So I would hardly call a 15-20 price premium for the benefits of the OEM drive a price benchmark failure.