Upgrading RAM to MBP 13.3

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rleezy, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rleezy macrumors newbie

I currently have 4gb in my MBP 13.3 Early 2011. Would upgrading it to 8gb make any difference in gaming wise for example Diablo 3? Also, what brand of RAM would you recommend? Also, what types of problems might I run into while doing this? Also, it won't void my warranty, would it? Bought December 2011.

Switched from PC to Apple.

Would this work fine?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139985

Suggestions wanted!

Thanks!

2. rleezy thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Also upgrading RAM will NOT void your warranty your all set.

4. CREB macrumors newbie

I would also like more information regarding differences in gaming performance.
    I was deciding between a 16gb vs a 8gb to increase the VRAM to increase gaming performance for games like GW2 or D3. Question is, is there any difference between 16gb upgrade vs 8gb upgrade in terms of VRAM improvement?

5. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

No, as far as I know you hit the ceiling with 512mb of VRAM with 8GB of ram and beyond. Even if it were possible to have more allocated, there wouldn't be a point, as the performance of the GPU would bottleneck any gains. To be honest, I didn't really notice any increase in performance with the additional VRAM when I upgraded to 8GB of ram. Just the same, since I'm able to play Minecraft and Starcraft 2 reasonably well I'm satisfied. :)

6. rleezy thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you know how to increase VRAM? Or will the VRAM increase after the input of 8gb of RAM? Currently, I have 384mb VRAM from my Intel HD 3000. Also, if and when it's increased, would I be able to play games at a higher setting? high/medium versus medium/low?

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Yes the your VRAM will increase after installing the RAM. Not too sure if you'd see any significant gaming improvements. I'll be installing 8GB soon also!