Upgrading Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Delorean2006, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15 inch and I upgraded the ram to 16gb, I was a little cash strapped when I bought it so I got cheap ram, I have a lot of stuttering when scrolling and just performance sometimes just bogs down, would upgrading to a higher performance 16gb set of ram help improve all of those issues?

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

RAM is RAM for the most part. These issues you are experiencing aren't likely due to your RAM. I would probably bet that it is something software related.

What OS are you running, and is there anything abnormal on Activity Monitor? How about TRIM (going by your signature) on your Samsung 840? Is that enabled, and if so how are you enabling it?

3. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

trim is enabled, I use trim enabler to enable it and there is nothing abnormal going on in my activity monitor, the only thing that uses a high amount of ram on a consistent basis is Google Drive so I know how much its going to use and I'm on Yosemite 10.10.4 and I did a clean install not too long ago

4. zombiecakes, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015

zombiecakes macrumors regular

are you using adblock? blocking all the animated ads on a webpage greatly improves scrolling performance

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

When looking at Activity Monitor, what about the CPU usage? I wasn't thinking of RAM when I suggested taking a look - it's more likely that a background process or forefront application can cause the stuttering that you describe from abnormal jumps in CPU usage.

6. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

never installed it, just did though, does seem to improve scrolling, but still some stuttering but better though

7. Delorean2006 thread starter macrumors 6502a

after looking at it for a little while nothing jumps out to me, i have not had any kernal panics as well, this computer unfortunately from mavericks and so on has never has a smooth scrolling experience and here there would get the spinning beachball more then I think it should

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just an idea, but a bad drive cable can show symptoms that mimic a bad drive (consistent with what you are describing). Do you have a USB external enclosure you could put your drive in just to test it and see if the issue goes away.