Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyebeaz, May 13, 2007.

1. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

I have a bottom of the line 512 MB Memory macbook, and I am considering updating to atleast 1GB. I was looking at my activity monitor and it says about 506 MB is being used as I am doing fairly simple tasks such as using iTunes, web browsing, and using Adium. However it says that about 100 MB of that is inactive. What exactly does this mean? This doesn't mean that it is available for use does it, because then I would not be using 506 out of 512 MB of my memory correct? Anyway I was just curious what it meant for memory to be inactive and if I should upgrade to atleast 1GB. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. winchest macrumors regular

Here is a link to the Apple definition for your question:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107918

From Apple
    Inactive memory
    This information is no longer being used and has been cached to disk, but it will remain in RAM until another application needs the space. Leaving this information in RAM is to your advantage if you (or a client of your computer) come back to it later.

Essentially another program can take this RAM if need be, but it is retained in memory so that if that application launches again, it can quickly use it.

I think upgrading would be beneficial for you. RAM has really dropped in price. There are many threads on here with links to well priced memory.

3. eyebeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Great thanks a lot. Do you think I will notice my computer running basic functions quicker if I upgrade ram, or will it run the same as 512 MB so long as there is free ram?

4. winchest macrumors regular

That depends on how many applications you have running at once. Personally, I would think you would see a bump in speed just going up to 1GB from 512MB, but that is my opinion. You can get for a great price for 2GB too which would be good if you want to run Parallels or VMWare sometime in the future.

5. eyebeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright thanks again. I know I'm a pain in the ass but one more question haha. I found this:
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=90054

Would it be compatible with my Macbook? It seems to meet all the specs that were specified in the Macbook manual unless there is something I am missing. Also has anyone used this ram before and know of it's quality/reliability? I am wondering why it is so inexpensive.

6. winchest macrumors regular

There are experts on here better to ask than me. It looks like it would work fine, but I have not had any experiece with the brand or store. I read somewhere else on here that people have had good experiences with that online store though.