Upgrading Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richiepad11, Aug 6, 2008.

1. richiepad11 macrumors member

richiepad11

I have 1 gig of ram, two 512 mb ram sticks. I'm seeking to upgrade to 4gigs. Ive read around that the 4 gigs of ram should all show up in my system info. i just want to make it clear if it would.
    thanks

2. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If installed properly your ram will show up in the main "about this Mac" window as well as the memory window within the extended menu.

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Regardless of how much ram is installed, clicking on "About this Mac" will show the processor installed, the total amount of RAM (properly installed as Iscariot has mentioned) and the name of the hard drive the system is installed on. Lots more info is displayed when you click on the "More info" button.

4. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I think the poster is worried that his machine can handle 4gb of ram. If it is any macbook that is Santa Rose or Newer it will handle 4gigs if it is before SR then it will only see a maximum of 3gb or ram, but 4 gigs will work but only 3 will be usable.

5. richiepad11 thread starter macrumors member

richiepad11

to koolstar

koolstar u are correct. yeah my machine is after SR, but i just wanted to make sure. thank you. Do you recommend any places to get some ram?

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

DMS, OWC and Crucial are good places. If you are in Canada I highly recommend CanadaRAM. In general look for a place that guarantees 100% Mac-compatibility with their RAM and has a sold replacement guarantee for handling defective RAM. many companies will charge a 15% restocking fee, make you pay for return shipping, etc. etc.

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Crucial is the best place I've ever been to. I'm upgrading my iMac very soon to 4GB, and I'm getting it from Crucial.

8. richiepad11 thread starter macrumors member

richiepad11

yeah ive herd of that place and so far all ive gotten was great feedback. thank you and i will most definitely purchase my ram there...thank you

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you have any other RAM-related questions feel free to browse through our Guides as well. :cool:

10. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I order my ram off of NewEgg.com. I used the kingston ram that is made for apple computer. (LINK). I bought this ram and it works amazing, no problems thus far.

11. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I just upgraded from 1GB to 4GB. Got it from Crusial.com

I cant believe how fast this machine is now.

Firefox and Thunderbird used to take 2 bounces to open, now they open almost instantly. The biggest difference I think is iMovie, which used to take 5-6 bounces, now only takes 1-2. Everything just feels faster. Maybe its just in my head. LOL

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Probably not - never underestimate the impact more RAM has on your system! ;) :)

13. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I really feel that if I set up a contest like this:

1. boot up
    2. open safari
    3. load www.nationalgeographic.com
    4. minimize safari
    5. insert dvd
    6. close dvd program when dvd starts
    7. open itunes
    8. minimize itunes
    9........(etc)
    .....15 Shut down system

I think i could probably do that faster than any vista machine out there.

I upgraded the ram to 2gbs from 512 in my friends vista laptop and it take probably 3-3:30 to fully boot. My MacBook takes at most 35 seconds.

14. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I glad everyone is happy about their RAM upgrades. I firmly believe that everyone should do RAM upgrades themselves and that should be the first thing you do when you get your computer. With the current price in ram it just makes sense.

15. richiepad11 thread starter macrumors member

richiepad11

just purchased my ram!!!! 4gigs!!! cant wait

now for an external hd. i currently have 160 internal
    i want maybe another 100 or 120 gigs

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

4 GB will definitely do you for quite a while. :) External HDDs are relatively inexpensive these days too so you should be able to find something that suits your needs on that front as well.

17. richiepad11 thread starter macrumors member

richiepad11

whats the best and cheapest external hd and where can i get it?

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just do a search on the Forums - this topic has been discussed a plethora of times - here's one set of results. No need to re-invent the wheel. ;) :cool:

19. sabregreen macrumors member

If the vista laptop takes 3:00-3:30 min to startup, that laptop has a hardware issue or doesn't meet the requirements for vista.

20. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

You have a 2.0 GHz Core Duo or a 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, not a 2.2 GHz Core Duo.

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, it's all the anti virus, firewall, anti spyware, iTunes (yes) and other addins, indexing, services and other junk that take the time to boot. My XP Pro machine with a quadcore 3.0 GHz takes about 5 minutes from a cold start. Mind you it writes the desktop on the screen within about 30 seconds, but you can't DO anything until it finishes thrashing the disk with all of the setup activities.

22. richiepad11 thread starter macrumors member

richiepad11

wow i cant believe i didnt catch that.well i made my signiture like at 3 am in the morning so that might of been the reason why i messed up but thanks for noticing i will change it right away!!

23. sabregreen macrumors member

I was gonna say, thats a long time. But 5 minutes is just too long. My XP machine takes maybe 50 seconds at the most on a AMD Opteron socket 939 2.0Ghz with 2gigs of ram on Windows 2003 server.