Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Costa Rica
I currently have the standard base model with 1 gig of ram. My question is how much (if any) do i need to upgrade to ? I use my macbook primarily for email, surfing, media ( itunes, garageband, idvd etc) editing photos. I do notice that my beachball will activate when i have 9 apps open, which i use all the time using expose. All comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're getting the beachball a lot, it could be an indication that you need more RAM. Since it's so inexpensive, it's not a bad idea to get as much as your system will allow.

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

It will help people give you accurate advice if you include information about the Mac model you're using. Refer to my signature below for an example.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you just want to make things faster, try 2GB of ram, but I have 4 GB ram which is the maximum for any mac laptop. Go with 4GB, you'll be glad for the extra ram. Kingston, Crucial, OWC, OWZ, Samsung and Micron (both factrory originals) are good sellers of ram. Most sites have a ram-chooser, you just select which model computer you have.

mossimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Costa Rica
Wow, Thats about all the info i could have asked for! This forum is great! Thanks. GGJSTUDIOS, Thanks for pointing out that i forgot to type my specs. ;)

mossimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Costa Rica
snowleapord, I am going with 4 gigs, What brand do you use. i didn't realize how cheap it can be especially installing it yourself, which i heard how easy it is.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
snowleapord, I am going with 4 gigs, What brand do you use. i didn't realize how cheap it can be especially installing it yourself, which i heard how easy it is.

I bought 2 X 2Gb sticks from Kingston. I got it for $60, with a $15 rebate. What laptop/desktop do you have? The iMac, MacBook, and MacBook Pro ram guides.

Any mac computer that has Leopard factory installed by default can support 4GB of ram. Any Tiger system can support 3GB maximum. And as a last note, be sure that both memory slots have equal amounts of ram. And don't mix/match ram brands. Make sure both memory slots are parallel (both slots have 2GB each or 1GB each or 512MB each) Dont have one slot use 1GB and another slot use 2GB. Each core to perform to it's maximum potential must have equal ram. That's why dual core cpus have two slots, one slot for each core. Good luck!

mossimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Costa Rica
Kingston it is. Can i expect a major difference in speed? Im assuming so.. Any suggestions on what i can do with the two 512mb cards i will have left over such as donating them etc. Sorry if its a stupid question but i hate to have perfectly fine hardware sitting around when someone else may be able to use it. Oh by the way, i have a 2008 macbook, is that a santa rosa or penyrn. I was looking in the profiler and couldnt find it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
LOL shows how much i know! Thanks for clearing that up for this newbie. ;)

No problem at all! We all start as newbies sometime! By the way:

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
MacRumors FAQ
MacRumors Rules
MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
Apple Find Out How
Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
You can find lists of essential applications here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

mossimo

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
Costa Rica
Awesome! Thanks so much :D.... that will make my macbook even better ! Information truly is power. What plug ins do you recommend? I have flip for mac already. Thanks again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Awesome! Thanks so much :D.... that will make my macbook even better ! Information truly is power. What plug ins do you recommend? I have flip for mac already. Thanks again.

Check out the links to essential apps in my last post. Lots of good info there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.