Upgrading regular ATT phone to iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Macman756, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

OK, so I went to find a store on Apple's website, and they had a box where you can enter your current cell number, put existing ATT plan, last 4 SS number. OK, so I do that, and it says $30 a month, all cool with me but, It says Not eligible for upgrade. iPhone 3g 8gb-$399 16gb-$499.

Do I actually have to pay an extra $200 just because I'm not a new customer?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How did you get your current phone? Was it cheap or free? Did you sign a 2-year contract?

My guess is that you signed a contract with AT&T to pay them for 2 years. As part of this deal, AT&T bought you a cell phone (or paid for part of it). If this happened less than 2 years ago, you haven't fullfilled your end of the bargain yet.

Thus, AT&T is not going to do you another favor until that contract has run out. The iPhone prices you see there are the real prices of the iPhone. The $199 and $299 prices are special prices you get in exchange for signing a 2-year contract. When you do that AT&T is buying part of the phone for you. Since you already have a contract you can't sign another one until that on runs out.

Based on what that site is telling you, I'd guess you're still in your old contract. So yes, that's the way it's supposed to work. You either pay that price, wait for your contract to run out, or pay the early termination fee to end your current contract. Call AT&T and ask, the termination fee may be less than $200. It depends on when you signed up. If so, that's the cheapest way to go.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

How much will I pay for iPhone 3G?

If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). A two-year contract is required. Additional discounts are not available for iPhone 3G.

If you are not currently eligible for the upgrade price, but your account is in good standing, you have two uptions: wait until you are upgrade eligible or pay a discounted early upgrade price of $399 for 8GB (black) and $499 for 16GB (black or white). A two-year contract is required. Additional discounts are not available for iPhone 3G.

Dave

4. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Can't I just renew my contract for an additional 2 years and get the discount?

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Short answer: No.

Post a few more details and we may be able to explain exactly why you don't quailfy for the subsidy pricing of $199/$299.

How long have you had your currrent phone?
    How long have you had your current contract?
    Do you spend more then $99 per mth on your phone service?

Dave

6. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Alright.

I have had my phone and two other phones on an ATT family plan since March of 08. So I have had my phone and plan for almost a year. I pay about $125 per month, so yes over $99.

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

Then you will not qualify for a full subsidy device upgrade untl about Nov. - Dec. 2010. This would be at 21 months into your current contract. As an earlier poster indicated, you received a free or a discounted phone(s) when you signed your current contract and since you have not completed your contract or met the 21 mth date, you don't qualify for an equipment upgrade discount.

The reason I asked if you spent more then $99 per month was to see if you would qualify for a reduced upgrade window based on your monthly charges. More bad news here, the $99 clip is for your primary line and features and would not include your additional FamilyTalk add-a-lines in the calculation. It also does not include any taxes or fees.

One suggestion is that you could add-a-line to your FamilyTalk plan for $39.99 and get an iPhone 3G for $199/$299. The $39.99 is $9.99 add-a-line + $30 iPhone 3G data plan.

Dave

8. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

So when I go into the Apple store and they scan the box, it rings up as $499? WHy not just ring up as $299? How do they know what price?

9. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

$499 is the price for non-subsidized iPhone. Either subscribe a new line for subsidized price, or pay $499 and extend contract for 2 more years.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

Only if you gave them your phone number and said that you want to updgrade to the iPhone 3G on one of your existing AT&T lines would the price ring up at $499 for the 16GB version.

If you are a new customer, adding a line of service or are eligible for an equipment upgrade the price is $299 for the 16GB iPhone 3G. AT&T sets the price based on what type of purchase you are making. Many will argue that Apple sets the price but it is all up to AT&T, they could even give them to you for free if you sign a xx year contract.

Dave

11. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

I'd wait unless you can get the 3G real cheap without a contract ;)

12. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

OK, heres an idea: Can I get a First Gen iPhone off ebay and get it activated, $20 a month, then when a new iPhone comes out in maybe June, can't I upgrade for the upgrade price then? Since I have an iPhone?? I'm sure there are First Gen iPhone owners who will wait to upgrade to the next iPhone. Will this work? Thanks

13. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I had 11 months remaining on a on-year contract. I was at one point pre-pay and then went to monthly Dec. 08 and a month later went to the iphone Jan. 09 and signed the two-year contract. I was told originally that I had to wait 11 months to get the cheaper price. Oh I also bought a new phone in October and never got a free phone from at&t.

I complained a bit and the manager was able to get the cheaper price. They had to do some code work or something. Additionally the district manager happened to be visiting the store. I don't know if that had something to do with it, but ask questions and see what can be done. I lucked out in that at the at&t store they sort of went out of their way to give me a break.

What you want can be done.

14. dave006 macrumors 68020

Do you really want to send $400 on what might be an eBay scam to save $200 and no it will not work. They closed the original iPhone to iPhone 3G upgrade loophole in August after everyone abused it to get multiple iPhone 3Gs to sell on eBay. They now have an upgrade tracking and an iPhone trackng flag on each line.

The upgrade you are trying to use was designed for original iPhone purchasers that bought the original iPhone that was not subsidized by AT&T and allow them to updated to the iPhone 3G that was subsidized and just restart a new two-year commitment. It really worked in AT&Ts favor since they were able to drop the revenue sharing arrangement with Apple and also restructure the standard subsidized phone model just like they have for all of their other handsets.

Dave

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Its not something that is unique to the iPhone. You got a subsidy on your current phone. You are not eligible for another subsidy on any phone until 21 months into your contract.

You might be able to get a refurb 3G iPhone cheaper.

16. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

Well, I can get a First gen iPhone from my brother who got a 3G. So any person who upgraded from a 2G to 3G can't do anything with that old phone? So if I did the way of getting a First gen iPhone, what are my options after that? Thanks

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Official AT&T Spin: They could keep the original iPhone and use it as an iPod or keep it as a backup phone or as AT&T advertised in their 3G Promo Materials: "Handing Off Your Original iPhone to Someone Else".

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/en/Transfer_Contacts.pdf

I am sorry but it will not give you a free way to upgrade your line to an iPhone 3G. A couple of basic options; you can activivate it using the instructions in the PDF or you could sell it on eBay and use the proceeds to purchase a new iPhone 3G. Please note that according to AT&T if you activate it you are agreeing to another two-year service commit.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp#0faqSection1

Dave

18. txjeep macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as you are, Macman. I have a Nokia N75 and want to upgrade to an iPhone. My eligibility date is March 23. I have been bugging the AT&T stores about upgrading me early, but they will not do it on an iPhone. Used ones are not an option either, since they are more than the retail price, and I don't know anyone who has one they aren't using. I guess I will have to wait another 2 months, because I can't bring myself to pay the extra $200 for my instant gratification.

Nice forum, by the way. This is my first post, but I have been lurking a lot lately.

19. Macman756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macman756

LUCKY! My 2 year expires in March of 2010! I will nag em because I spent $125 for my phone, so I don't really think of that as "Free". Discounted, maybe, but not much, its just a RAZR. Ah, what we are willing to do to get an Apple Product. Me at least. Any other good ideas?