Upgrading / replacement query???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CyrusOz, Sep 26, 2013.

1. CyrusOz macrumors regular

Today im upgrading my Imac to a newer machine as the old one will be handed down to my young daughter to learn on. I have a number of applications that i no longer have the serials and licenses for (due to a malfunctioning backup hard drive that I relied on to hold that information) and i'm wondering if there is a way that I can copy the bulk of these applications across to my new Mac. It's not the end of the world if I can't but I'm thinking it would be far easier to copy what I have than to go through the process of contacting companies again for new serials and proving licensing and digging out invoices etc. Hopefully that make sense.

is there a way that I can just take the apps across to my new Mac, will time machine do that or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

2. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

That's excellent, never heard of that app before. Thanks very much for your response mate :)

3. Bear macrumors G3

Yes. migration assistant is the way to go. However, I do suggest you try and dig up serial numbers/license keys for all the apps you care about just in case that way if you ever need them you will have them and not have to try and get them in a rush.

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Most applications should transfer with the exception of the Adobe suite, Little Snitch, Autodesk software, and other expensive programs.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are going to have a problem. Migration Assistant works great and it will transfer all apps over, but some apps, notably MS Office and anything by Adobe, will see the app is on a new machine and require reentry of the registration/serial number info. Not having that, you won't be able to run the apps.

6. CyrusOz thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks guys, i'll have to find those serials somehow I guess, at least the bulk of the work is done though.

On a different note, being a new Imac i thought i would have the latest operating software but when i go Apple > About this Mac I get the operating system of 10.8.5. is that the latest or has it somehow reverted to the operating system of my old make which was Snow Leopard? It doesn't look any different from SL.

Thanks again guys.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

10.8.5 is the latest version. Snow Leopard would be 10.6.x. Enjoy your new iMac.