Upgrading rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -BigMac-, Nov 25, 2014.

1. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

I have a Late 2013 rMBP High-End..

What is the speed bump one gets from the late 2013 to the current rMBP, and what is the speed boost which is expected to come with the new update (whenever that may be?).

Talking roughly percentage wise. Also are we expecting a significant graphics update with the upcoming high-ends?

2. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

The difference between your machine and the 2014 ones is inconsequential.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

4. Zerka macrumors member

The current models and the 2013 models have little to no difference. There's a slight better performance as far as efficiency when performing highly intensive tasks in the current model, but you'll likely not be able to notice. I'd keep your 2013 rMBP and update perhaps when the next model comes out maybe late 2015 or 2016

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Wait for skylake

Your current rMBP will be fine until after broadwell, unless you game broadwell will be no real difference to what you have at the moment.

The current rMBP is so similar to yours as to make no real world difference at all.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have a late 2012 13" rMBP and there is a difference in battery/ performance to the latest machine - but that is still not enough to justify me shelling out hundreds in the delta between what I can get selling the existing machine and what the new system will cost. I will need a bigger delta to justify spending that much money.

7. -BigMac- thread starter Suspended

-BigMac-

what kind of difference will broadwell bring along the lines up gaming?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Improved iGPU will definitely improve gaming, and I'm assuming any dGPU added on to the higher end MBP will improve it further as well.

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah the late 2013 and current mid 2014 are so close in every way it is kind of ridiculous. The CPUs are barely any faster on the new models. Wait at least 2 more generations, I'd say.

10. Woochoo macrumors 6502

To see a speed bump in CPU's I think you'll have to wait to Skylake, Broadwell will bring 2,5-5% more CPU performance... Any speed bump in Broadwell will be in GPU (30%). So I still wouldn't switch, Skylake will be here in a year - year and a half as max.