Upgrading screen on a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shadician, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Shadician macrumors newbie

So here's the deal - a few years back I broke the screen of my 13" MacBook Pro. Funny story actually, I was browsing the net while lying in bed but started to fall asleep...so put my mactop on the ground, next to my bed, fell asleep...woke up several hours later, my room was now dark, I stood up to go get a drink and *CRUNCH* stepped right on top of my closed MacBrook Pro.

Screen is now shattered, but luckily it still works and the only issue is one of aesthetics really. A spiderweb of cracks across the screen is hardly attractive, even if I have got used to it now.

Anyway, I've always planned on replacing the glass in the screen once I had a bit of money saved up (seems I've never quite got around to it) and now I'm wondering if instead of just replacing it I could actually upgrade it in any way...thoughts?

Would be incredible if I could install a shiny retina screen, but I have my doubts about this being possible. I've scoured the 'net for info on this but alas have found nothing. What do you guys suggest?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not possible, since no 13" retina screens exist yet.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Uuuuh I'm not great at math but I don't think a 15inch screen will fit in a 13inch mbp..

4. Shadician thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously if I had known the size difference I wouldn't have made the suggestion ;)

Do I have any other options then, screen upgrade-wise? Any estimation on when we might see a 13inch mbp screen and how likely is it I could install it on my model?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's more to it than installing the screen. The GPU must be able to support the new screen. There's no realistic way to do what you want. Just replace the screen with the same kind it had. If you want an upgraded screen, buy a new Mac.

6. PeterJP macrumors regular

PeterJP

In this day where Apple is soldering memory onto the memory board, you expect them to suddenly consider the screen (that was always fixed to begin with) to be a modular component ?

Not very realistic, is it ?

Peter.

7. Shadician thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys, I came to you for some friendly advice, not to get criticised for my lack of knowledge - if I knew the things people are pointing out I wouldn't be here in the first place!

I do realise Apple are quite closed when it comes to upgrades, but was open to suggestions of installing third party screens or options other than Apple parts.

8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Sorry mate, not a hope. Everything from the screen to the connectors to the hinges to the entire screen casing is designed around one particular LCD, supplied only by Apple.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even replacing the screen with a matching Apple screen can be a real hassle; the connectors can be a bitch and IIRC the wi-fi antenna is within the upper case.

10. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I would look into getting just the glass replaced instead of the entire thing, and that may cost only a couple hundred bucks.

Or sell it on eBay "as is" and someone will buy it for a lot. Since there's a lot of people who know how to do this stuff and have spare parts available, you can probably fetch a decent amount for your computer and then use it toward another, newer one.

As far as retina goes, you will never be able to get one on your current computer.

I am sure some tech whiz will some day hack one onto an older computer to become internet famous, but it will not be practical for most people to do (cost wise, labor wise, etc.).

11. Mojo1 macrumors 65816