Upgrading SL on a stock machine w/o a backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Godzilla71, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Godzilla71 macrumors 6502

Godzilla71

Just wondering, I have a stock machine 09 MBP 13" (for the most part) that is only 2 weeks old or so. I have adjusted a few settings and such and I do not have an external HD yet and the only thing I have added is Firefox (for now) and the updates of course minus the firmware 1.7 since I heard people had problems with that. I kept it this way knowing that SL was going to be coming out soon. So, I was assuming if nothing else (or if something goes wrong) I could always just reload everything from the restore discs which essentually would act as my backup. so I do not have any mission critcal settings or items that are not hard to redo I do intend on getting an external at at some point. Am I right in assuming this? I know it would probably be more of a pain to have to go that route but I figured it is pretty much the same.
    any thoughts?
    of course I would like to think I will not have any major probs to begin with.

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

It sounds like you would have a very nice and simple time upgrading. You might as well do a clean install due to you not having any important files. As you haven't installed any applications (other than Firefox) you won't have any problems with incompatible apps.

One thing to note is OS X upgrades do not come packaged with iLife so you'll have to reinstall that separately using Disk 2 of your restore disks.

Have fun!

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Upgrading SL on a stock machine w/o a backup

If you like to live dangerously and have no back-ups, that is up to you. Not only for installing SL as this should be straight forward but some day having no back-ups will come and bit you in the A$$...