Upgrading SSD and RAM myself

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 6, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

Next week, I'm going to upgrade to a Intel 80gig SSD and RAM. I have some questions on the upgrade.

The harddrive is easy to upgrade, you just take out the battery and you have direct access to the harddrive. My question is will the Intel 80gig SSD fit? Do I need any special adapters etc?

The RAM is harder to upgrade cause you have to take that panel out. I'm worried that if I take the panel out, I wouldn't be able to put it back together lol. Where do I get the RAM? I would like to get 8gigs but since the Macbook Pro doesn't support 8gigs, I guess I want to get 4gigs. Where do I get it?
    Do I get it from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...40551 1327844988 1328023882&name=4GB (2 x 2GB)

OR from http://store.apple.com/us/memorymodel/ME_15_2_4_MBP ??

The memory at newegg is much cheaper than at Apple. But I don't know what "brand" apple uses. I want a good quality stable brand.

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

3. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

4. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, should I get the RAM from Apple store directly or Microcenter Mushkin brand? I want a good solid fast RAM with good timings. Apple's RAM already seems fast and I don't want to get Mushkin if it's going to be slower.

5. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Get the mushkin RAM. Apple overcharges for RAM.

6. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

Crucial.com!!!

Every product I've ever gotten from them has been amazing, and they have the 2 X 2GB kit for $65 now.

As for the ease of installation, as long as you have the right screwdriver, it's very easy. After you unscrew it (and make sure to keep track of the 8 screws, some are TINY), the larger bottom panel is very easy to remove and to put back. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

+1 for Crucial. I use their RAM in both my Macs and my i7 PC never had any problems.