Upgrading SSD in a 2016 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dealmaker, Mar 20, 2016.

1. dealmaker macrumors regular

Guys,

I hope someone can help. I've read lots of comments about certain machines not being upgradeable, and others needing adapters for SSD's to fit.

Question is - is the 512gb, factory fit SSD hard drive on my early 2016 15" Retina MBP upgradeable to a 1 TB version? Will any particular one/physical size be needed?

My machine is fitted with 16gb of RAM and I'm guessing that part ISN'T upgradeable , nor can the machine make any use of more RAM?

Thanks for any comments.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Only if you find it on eBay. While the SSD is replaceable, i.e., not soldered onto the logic board. There's no one that sells replacements for your model.

Btw, you don't have a "2016" model, but rather a 2015. While you bought it in 2016, its based on the 2015 generation that was released in May 2015.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 20, 2016 ---
    The ram is soldered onto the logic board so you cannot alter that.

3. dealmaker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks maflynn. Thanks for clarification on model year also.

So I guess the good news is that it is replaceable.........but the bad news is no one makes a replacement! Is it likely that manufacturers will start to make suitable alternatives as surely there have been a lot of these sold to date, and owners will either be looking to upgrade....or experiencing drive failures?

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

OWC have just announced some upgrade kits for SSD's in the post late 2013 models but they are very expensive and only 2 lane PCIe so not as fast and there are reports of lack of TRIM support on the drive itself.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not likely because the 2012 model is he last generation where you can buy a new replacement SSD

6. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

You are probably better off selling your current MacBook now before it looses value (say they update it on the 21st or wwdc) and purchasing one that meets your needs even if it isn't the rmb. By the time someone comes out with a ssd for it it will have lost a lot more of its value and you will have wasted a lot of time.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

For all practical purposes, the drive -isn't- "replaceable" unless you have LOTS of $$$ to spend.

As with the OWC replacements, there may be performance trade-offs, as well.

I'd go with Jal217's advice above...

8. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

9. treekram macrumors 6502a

There are some substantial technical barriers that Apple has put in the way of anybody trying to come up with a substitute PCIe SSD for the later Retina MBP's. I think that it's unlikely that anybody else (other than OWC) will enter the market. There was a good article from AnandTech briefly describing some of the technical issues: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10128...ade-for-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-pcie-ssds

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

Let's clear up some misconceptions here. It's mentioned that third party replacements don't exist for the model in question. This isn't the case, as Samuelsan pointed out. Within the last few weeks, OWC announced SSDs for Late 2013 and newer MacBook Pros which previously didn't have any third party options available.

Here's the link:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-pro-retina-display/2013

As also mentioned, the drives do have some weaknesses, chief among which is that they're much slower than Apple SSDs. But they exist and can be purchased and installed into current 13" and 15" Retina MacBook Pros.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was unaware that they recently started releasing new SSDs. As you stated, its a new situation and I don't follow the news about new MBPs as closely as I used too. My 2012 rMBP is still going strong.