Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbjhbj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Do you know if this is possible? I got the 256GB and want to go to 1TB. I talked to Crucial this morning and got very mixed answers. Newegg said no upgrade was available.

Has anyone been able to upgrade a recent MBP SSD successfully?

Thanks!

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yes and no.

It is technically possible to upgrade them, but there are currently no third-party products available. So you'd have to get actual Apple SSDs from places like Ebay in order to upgrade it.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Do you know if this is possible? I got the 256GB and want to go to 1TB. I talked to Crucial this morning and got very mixed answers. Newegg said no upgrade was available.

Thanks!

Yes, because you can always wait for some people to pull their 1TB SM1024G SSDs from their Broadwell rMBPs and put them on eBay.

No, because nobody makes upgrades for them and most probably never will. These PCIe blades use a proprietary Apple design, and my best guess is Apple threatened to sue anyone who copied the design and made third party upgrades.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

Thanks!

Read through this short thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1857054/

The OP, Jfriedman8, installed a 1TB drive purchased from eBay roughly a week or two ago and hasn't had any issues with it. I've been considering doing the same thing, but I'd want an external enclosure for my smaller drive so I can use it as a portable hard drive. No one seems to make external PCIE enclosures yet.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Read through this short thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1857054/

The OP, Jfriedman8, installed a 1TB drive purchased from eBay roughly a week or two ago and hasn't had any issues with it. I've been considering doing the same thing, but I'd want an external enclosure for my smaller drive so I can use it as a portable hard drive. No one seems to make external PCIE enclosures yet.

I read about that one too.

The problem is, we're talking about the 2015 Broadwell rMBPs here, which use the new SM951-based PCIe SSDs rather than the slower old XP941-based PCIe SSDs in the Haswell Macs.

Sure, the older XP941-based SSDs will fit, but it won't operate at the ludicrous speeds of the current SM951-based ones.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I read about that one too.

The problem is, we're talking about the 2015 Broadwell rMBPs here, which use the new SM951-based PCIe SSDs rather than the slower old XP941-based PCIe SSDs in the Haswell Macs.

Sure, the older XP941-based SSDs will fit, but it won't operate at the ludicrous speeds of the current SM951-based ones.

Ah, sorry. I didn't realise you were referring to the Broadwell Macs. But I imagine the process should be exactly the same. Just need to wait for someone to pull the correct drive from a Broadwell Mac and put it up on eBay.

hbjhbj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Ah, sorry. I didn't realise you were referring to the Broadwell Macs. But I imagine the process should be exactly the same. Just need to wait for someone to pull the correct drive from a Broadwell Mac and put it up on eBay.

Bummer.

Thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.