Upgrading SSD on Mid 2014 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Android300zx, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Android300zx, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

Android300zx macrumors regular

I just purchased a MBP online with the following configuration:

- 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
    - 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    - 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

I ended up choosing the 8GB SDRAM option but then found out I wouldn't be able to upgrade in the future so I had to cough out an additional $200 at the point of sale. Not cool Apple.

Anyway, I didn't upgrade the SSD because I'm sure there is/may be an option. Does anyone know a company working on this? Will Apple offer this option in the future? I'm not fond of Apple doing these sneaky practices especially when it comes to HDD space considering failure rates of some drives.

Thanks for reading.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

There's no such thing as a mid-2015 MBP model. Actually, there are so far no 2015 models of anything Apple related! Do you mean a mid-2014?

3. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just bought it last week (being delivered on Tuesday). I'm assuming it's a 2015 model. Maybe I'm wrong.

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Currently, there are no 3rd-party SSD upgrades available for newer MacBook Pros, so either you'll need to return this Mac you just bought and get the right model configuration, or else, live with 128GB SSD and either get an external hard drive or external Thunderbolt SSD

5. nirvanemesis macrumors member

It looks like you're ordering a mid 2014 13". In that case, keep an eye out tomorrow in case there's a refresh for those at the Apple event. As for the SSD, currently it is technically replaceable iirc, but only with other SSDs from Apple so it's better to just order it with the storage you need. Also, SSDs fail less often than spinning HDDs, so it's more reliable than you think

6. Android300zx, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Upgrading SSD on Mid 2014 MBP

Crap, I thought the event tomorrow was for the over hyped Apple watch. So let's say I get this on Tuesday and a refreshed Macbook comes out would I be able to walk in the store and do an exchange to the better and newer model or will I have to ship this thing back? It looks like it shipped from Shanghai, China.

7. nirvanemesis macrumors member

It's mostly for the Watch, but shipping dates on the Air and 13" are slipping and the new processors are available so there's a likely chance there'll be a refresh. You can walk in to the store, but it's not certain if there'll be the new laptops in stock. Either way, if there's a refresh, the 14 day return period is extended to 30 days, so you have plenty of time.

8. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

9. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know. Let's hope there's a refresh that comparable to what I paid. The total cost of my setup was $1705.

10. webs1 macrumors member

The SSDs are PCIe cards - you can buy them on Amazon, or other retailers, and replace what is in your machine, but they are expensive drives.

This 512gb, for example, is $510: Samsung 512GB PCIe SSD

11. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

My thinking process at the time of ordering was to wait it out until Black Friday to see if I could snag one at a good deal. Thanks for the link though. We shall see tomorrow during the announcement on the course of action I will take.

12. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Apple's PCIe SSDs are customized so they are not compatible with generic PCIe SSDs.

13. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

So you wouldn't be able to buy an SSD and an enclosure, use Disk Utility to format the drive and then use a program like Clone to make a copy of your current information in preparation for the swap?

14. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

What I'm saying is that at present, there is no 3rd-party SSD replacements for MBPs. Of course you can buy a SATA3 SSD, drop it into an enclosure and clone the onboard SSD to this new external SSD, and then boot from it...

15. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

I see. Thanks.

16. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Correct.
    2013/2014 SSD on the top.
    2012 SSD on the bottom.
    Neither one is an M.2 interface.

Attached Files:

17. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

I see the new Macbooks look sweet. Light and like the colors options. Do you think if I call them they'd offer me a gift card at least instead of having to trade this one in for the newer one? Anyone gone though this before?

18. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

What do you mean gift card?

You will need to return the MBP you just got (whether via mail or at an Apple store is up to you), you will receive a credit to you card for what you paid.

Then you will be able to purchase the new MB.

However, there is not a shipping date for the new MB, and you only have 14 calendar days to return your MBP.

Personally the new MB is a niche product. Keep your 13" MBP and be happy with it.

19. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

I decided to just keep it. I use my Macbook every day and my previous one died on me. It's been a rough 2 weeks since I had to use my work Windows laptop which is a pain in the ass.

I called Apple and got someone on the line. They couldn't offer me a gift card but he did offer to send me Beats headphones for free. I got the $200 ones that look like earbuds. When I get it I'll return it in the Apple store for store credit. It would have taken a month and change to get a new MB if I returned this one, waited for credit to hit CC and then ordered again.

20. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I really suggest you to return it using the 15 days return period.
    As you probably know by now early 2015 MacBook Pro were released yesterday.

A far as the SSD is concerned, OWC is working on a solution compatible with 2013 and 2014 Macs, we don't know if the "twice as fast" SSD in the 2015 13" (Pro and Air) use the same connector and Apple just enabled the 4 lanes.

21. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

I slept on it today and decided to ship the MBP out. I shipped it out today and it should arrive at their facility this Thursday. The Apple Rep told me I should be able to order the new one by Mid to Late next week. After I place the order I'll see if they can expedite the shipping to me.

It made sense and I figured I'd be kicking myself in the rear for not acting on it.

I'm going to be ordering the new MBP Mid 2015 Retina with the following:

3.1GHz Dual-Core i7
    16GB RAM
    128GB SSD

I'll buy AppleCare before the year is up.

Will keep you guys posted.

22. russellwth macrumors newbie

Samsung MZ-JPU512T/0A6 on MBPR 13' Mid-2014

Regarding upgrading of the Mid-2014 Macbook Pro Retina 13', i've been waiting for quite some time for OWC to release theirs but still nothing, then i've stumbled upon this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-SSD-S...?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item19fc4897e9).

I did a search earlier and saw that we got members on this forum using this Samsung MZ-JPU512T/0A6 SSD in their Mac Pros but i've not located anyone or any thread that suggests that anyone has yet to swap their SSD within their MBPR 13' with this.

Does anyone here have any experience on this for Macbook's or if it'll work?

Thanks for reading.