Upgrading SSD PCIe drives on new MBP retina by user.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gymnast79, Nov 9, 2013.

1. gymnast79 macrumors newbie

Hello guys.

I want to get a new MBP retina with 16gb, 2.3Ghz i7 and 1Tb SSD, but the drive alone it ads over $1000 (16gb, 2.3Ghz i7, 128Gb = 2,329.00 VS 16gb, 2.3Ghz i7, 1Tb = 3,348.99).

So my question is, if I get the 128Gb version one, how easy is to upgrade the SSD by myself? My understanding is that is not that hard provided you have the right screwdrivers..

as shown here:
    13-inch MacBook Pro w/ Retina display Late 2012 SSD Installation Video - YouTube

I want this laptop to last me 3 years, so maybe in the near future a 1Tb SSD will be sold on ebay for much less than 1000 bucks and I can just upgrade to that?

What are your thoughts on this? Should I just stop fooling around and get the 1Tb from apple directly right now?

Also, does upgrading the SSD voids warranty??

Cheers.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Check out this thread. Yes, the SSD is removable, but currently there are no third-party SSDs available and with no idea of when they will come out and even then what sizes/speeds will be available.

You'll save money in the long run by getting the SSD that you want right now.

3. LaravelNick macrumors member

Can anyone please confirm if the SSDs in the new MBPs are totally proprietary and created exclusively for Apple or are they industry standard that lots of component sellers are like to offer eventually ?