Upgrading SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thejd, Apr 20, 2014.

1. thejd macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been purusing the SSD forums and would like to pose my specific system/situation to the community. I've got a mid 2012 13" MBP and a budget of around $300 for an SSD upgrade from the standard 5400rpm HDD. I'd like to move the HDD to the optical bay, stick the SSD in the original bay and externalize the superdrive. Should I just go with OWC's solution (drives and bay conversion kit)? Or are there other drives and kits I can purchase?

Thanks in advance. Appreciate the help.

2. simsaladimbamba

For Europeans this might work, it costs 80 USD, and also includes a case for the ODD.

Of course many fare very well with the cheap optibay solutions they find on eBay.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I can recommend the Samsung 840, 840 Evo, and 840 Pro as all great SSDs especially in a cMBP. You can use a data doubler type of thing to put it in the ODD place, but know that it voids the warranty if under AppleCare.

4. 0n1cOn3 macrumors newbie

Thats one thing, where i have self not foundet. The TRIM functionalities! Apple doesn't Support non-certificate SSD's - but, i've found a app who should activate TRIM... But if does work, i don't know

5. thejd thread starter macrumors member

Hey all,

Just went with the Samsung 840 EVO which seemed to fair very well against its peers. Bought that from Newegg. OWC provided the data doubler bracket and superdrive enclosure.

Will update when the install has been completed!