Upgrading still under warranty Macbook Pro hard-drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cosmicthing, Mar 22, 2009.

1. cosmicthing macrumors newbie

I bought my Macbook Pro June 2007 at University which included a 3 year extended warranty. It came with a 200GB hard-drive which frankly isn't enough anymore. Dabs has a 500GB for about £80 that I think is great value.

How can I upgrade if by doing so invalidates the warranty?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

IT DOESN'T.

Do what you want with it, and please search the forums in the future.

3. cosmicthing thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a search, it appears that it would invalidate the warranty as it involves taking apart the case, as opposed to the newer models that make the hard drive easily accessible.

Thanks for your help

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

On the portables pre Late-2008 models, it does void your warranty since you physically have to "get at it" to swap it out. When customers call in, I tell them if they swapped out the HDD, place the original back in. I also informed them that if Apple does find tampering, they could decide to go on with the repair. So if you're planning on upgrading the HDD, do it with care or take it to an authorized service provider to do it for you.

5. cosmicthing thread starter macrumors newbie

Spoke to genius at the Apple Store today. My 200gb hard-drive failed, I bought a 500gb as a replacement, they said they would replace the 200gb as it is still under warranty but wouldn't fit the 500gb drive I bought. I don't see the logic here!

Can anyone help?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple Stores only install authorized Apple parts. Don't know of any way around that.

The Apple Store near me doesn't consider the warranty void if a owner puts a different drive into an older MBP. They simply won't warranty the drive, or any damage that could have come from the user replacing the drive.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

There's nothing to do. Policy is policy. Switch the 200GB drive out when you have the computer back if you wish.