Upgrading Storage on 2010 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ma5ter5, Jul 22, 2011.

1. ma5ter5 macrumors member

ma5ter5

Hi,

The 250GB drive that came with my 2010 MBP has quickly filled up as I've gotten more into digital photography. I'm looking to get more space to store photos, but am unsure if I want to do internal or external and wanted some advice. Here is my current set up:

2010 13" MBP
    2TB Time Capsule
    32GB iPhone 4
    Airport Express

I, like most people, do not want to lose their files, and thus why I have the TC. For this reason I am hesitant to do anything external off the MBP or the TC, unless there is a way that I could automatically back those up to the TC (I'm a fan of redundancy).

I was considering getting a WD 500GB 7200 drive, but didn't know if I should do advance format or not. While I would like to eventually get a SSD, one with enough storage seems out of my price range currently. Unless I could get a smaller SSD and utilize an external for photo storage and still back up to a second drive.

I'm not familiar with RAID setups, but would consider any suggestions. I can also ditch the TC.

I really appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Steve

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to a WD Black 500GB drive, which has suited me just fine. I don't use my MBP as my main computer, but I do back it up using TM occasionally to one of my NAS's on my network. You can go with a 500GB, 750GB or even 1TB drive, but I would stick with the TC or other external solution for backups.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

You may also want to consider Seagate's hybrid drive. It's faster with booting and application launching.

I use one myself. I wouldn't want to back to a normal hard drive.