Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Got on the subject in a different thread/forum, but it really belongs here:

Currently have the very first MBP, and removing the busted optical drive has given me a ton of faith that it still works great. Can't afford a new computer, but love doing repair/upgrade projects, so I'm thinking of doing some work on this. Actually found the SSD-for-system-apps-library-HD-in-optical-drive thread to be really compelling, and would love to go that route.

However, one thing about this computer really annoys me -- the lack of RAM upgradability. It's already maxed out at 2GB, and there's no way, as far as I'm aware, to get it above that. So before I drop, $100-175 on an SSD, 80 on a new HD, and $30 on Snow Leopard, and the time and effort to get this done (though, since I'm already replacing the bottom pan/thermal paste, not that big of a stretch), would like anyone's thoughts on if this is a worthwhile project.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
Upgrade it to what? I dunno if a replacement CPU will just be floating around anyway, or it might be more expensive / PITA than you anticipate.

I would def price it out first. If you go over ~400 altogether (likely) then you might as well save a bit more and get this year's MBP from Microcenter

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
If you're looking for more RAM or a better CPU then you're gonna have to replace the logic board, and if you replace the logic board you're going to have to replace everything else. So you'd be better off buying another newer used working mbp all together.

If you just want to run Lion, then from what I've heard older machines with only 2 GB RAM struggle a bit and I would personally just save up for a different mbp.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you just want to run Lion, then from what I've heard older machines with only 2 GB RAM struggle a bit and I would personally just save up for a different mbp.

You can't run Lion anyway, it needs at least a Core 2 Duo processor.

I've got a 1.83 Core Duo MBP with 2GB RAM and it runs reasonably well with Snow Leopard.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Well, balls.

Trying to look on the bright side, perhaps the SSD + Optibay750gb wouldn't be a bad upgrade, because I can always take them out and put them in a new MBP, and sell the new entry-level HD on eBay. Reasonable?

No, I'm not going to replace the logic board. Core2Duo boards won't fit in a CoreDuo, and if I can't get past Snow Leopard, that's a pretty severe hindrance.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
You can't run Lion anyway, it needs at least a Core 2 Duo processor.

Officially yes, but...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1107457/
http://www.cultofmac.com/84960/read...eveloper-preview-on-unsupported-core-duo-macs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346qmgjBI6c

Well, balls ... No, I'm not going to replace the logic board. Core2Duo boards won't fit in a CoreDuo, and if I can't get past Snow Leopard, that's a pretty severe hindrance.

The max RAM for core duos is 2 GB so yeah, balls.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I would not choose to run Lion with 2GB RAM. I was unhappy with 4GB in a much faster macine than yours.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Not being able to run 10.7 is a benefit IMO, 10.6.x is about as perfect as you can get, while 10.7 is OS X Vista...errr Lion.

I say there's no reason not to get a nice SSD and HDD/optibay, although I don't know if the optibay for your MBP will work in the newer unibody models. When I put a SSD (OCZ Vertex 3, which is what I recommend) in my C2D is turned it into even more of a beast than it was before.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
FWIW 2gb really isn't enough for SL either. You might run into a lot of beachballs even with an SSD.

Before someone says it runs great with 2gb...

It's enough, but not enough ;-)

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Not being able to run 10.7 is a benefit IMO, 10.6.x is about as perfect as you can get, while 10.7 is OS X Vista...errr Lion.

I say there's no reason not to get a nice SSD and HDD/optibay, although I don't know if the optibay for your MBP will work in the newer unibody models. When I put a SSD (OCZ Vertex 3, which is what I recommend) in my C2D is turned it into even more of a beast than it was before.

Well, the optibay is just an SATA 2.5" in an adapter, and the adapters strike me as relatively inexpensive. If I have to get a new adapter, not really a big deal as long as I can remove the SATA. Unless there's something I'm missing about newer MBPs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.