Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JKK4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
For the CPU of the new minis, I can choose between 2.0GHz (intel Core 2 Duo P7350) and 2.26GHz (P8400).

I wonder if I can replace the CPU myself (now or later) e.g. by the P8700 which runs at 2.53 GHz. I heard that this is impossible. Even upgrading from 2.0GHz to 2.26GHz is said to be impossible. I was told that if I want the 2.26 GHz CPU, I have to decide so before I buy, as it is not possible to upgrade later.

Is that true?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
The CPUs in the new mac minis are soldered in place so there is no socket. In other words, you can't upgrade the CPU in the new mac mini unless you do so at order time and CTO your order to have the faster 2.26GHz processor.

JKK4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
The CPUs in the new mac minis are soldered in place so there is no socket. In other words, you can't upgrade the CPU in the new mac mini unless you do so at order time and CTO your order to have the faster 2.26GHz processor.

Thanks for the explanation. That's too bad.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Thanks for the explanation. That's too bad.

The fastest mini you could get right now processor wise is a previous generation one. Get one of those and you can upgrade the processor to 2.33GHz I believe. You'd be losing the better graphics chip, dual display support, 30" display support, sata optical drive (in case you want a blu ray drive in future) and you're upper RAM limit would be 3GB. Still, if computational power's what you need most then that might be the way to go. Not really cost effective though when you consider how much it would cost to get one of those and upgrade it in comparison to the cost of an iMac.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
The fastest processor that you can upgrade the previous generation Mini to is the T7600 2.33Ghz C2D. The previous generation could only handle a 667Mhz FSB processor....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.