Upgrading the hard drive in MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kevtech1, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Kevtech1 macrumors member

I have only had my MacBook Pro 13.3 for a couple months but from day one I really wanted a bigger hard drive, but didn't feel like going through the trouble or spending the extra at the time to custom order the 250gb HD. So I currently have the 160gb HD. With my Snow Lep disc I am tempted to upgrade to a 320 gb hard drive- special on Newegg for $69. Other than voiding my warranty - anyone have any advice?

2. peetah macrumors member

Get it... take your time opening up the case. Be careful with the ribbon on the top of the hard drive. If you over extend it while peeling it off you will break it at the connector. You'll know what I mean when you see it.

As for voiding warranty... that only happens if you break something while doing the upgrade.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

go to ifixit.com and do your homework before doing it.

4. Kevtech1 thread starter macrumors member

- So you mean if I do a perfect install and then 6 months down the road my processor goes they won't look at the specs and say "You upgraded the hard drive, that voids your warranty- we can't help you"?? I may still hold out for a ssd, when the 250gb's come down in price. I am a tech, and have done plenty of installs so I am not worried about that- but I appreciate everyone's feedback!

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

If that concerns you, 6 months down the road when your processor dies (odd part to pick to be honest), open the laptop again, throw the old drive in and presto, they will have no clue.

6. Kevtech1 thread starter macrumors member

- Good Point!

7. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Since this is relevant and I don't want to start a new thread just for this. Can anyone confirm if the new (Mid 09) MBP 13in can take a 12.5mm drive? I can't find a clear answer because people don't say size or when it was made.

8. mbpcron macrumors member

mbpcron

Two recommendations from my experience

1. Get a 7200RPM drive. My MBP performance increased noticeably.
    2. When replacing the ribbon, be sure not to cover the small pressure hole on the new drive. It will have a small label beside it identifying it.

9. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I do not think it can, only 9.5mm. Are you thinking about slapping the new 1TB 2.5" drive in your laptop?

10. analytical44 macrumors regular

Phillips 00 (for the screws on the case and the bracket that holds the HDD in)
    Torx T6 (for the mounting screws attached to the HDD)

Use these screwdrivers and these only. Go to Sears hardware and they should have some. Take your time, replace the screws in the same hole they came from, be careful with the SATA connector as the other poster mentioned, and don't psych yourself out. It's a pretty straight forward process and I would definitely recommend doing it yourself. Good luck.

11. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

Yeah, thinking about it. I still have the 160GB stock drive and it's not full. I was going to get the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB but it would be nice to know if I somehow fill that up there is always a 640GB or even 1TB.