Upgrading the hard drive in MBP - Brand questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgodden, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jgodden macrumors member

I recently purchased a 13" Unibody MBP, with the 250gb HDD. Im looking to upgrade that to a 640GB HD, and I have been looking at newegg. They currently have 3-4 of them up there, and 2 of them (The WD and the Samsung) have reviews saying not to use it in the MBP, because the Hard Drive will constantly spin down and go to sleep.

Im a little worried about buying one as I dont want this to happen. Id like to find a Hard drive that will work perfectly in the Macbook pro and not have the "beachball" issues as they call it.

Ive been looking at the Seagate Momentus, which the guy at bestbuy told me was made specifically for the Mac (even though it says Mac + PC on the box, as do all of the other ones.) I dont really trust the word of some high school kid from best buy, so Im wondering if anyone here has installed this drive, and if so, how is it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There is no hard drive that is made specifically for the Mac. Seagate, Western Digital and the others work perfectly fine. I personally like Seagate but others prefer WD or Hitachi.

You need to make sure you get the proper size hard drive as only 9.5mm will fit the MBP.

As for beachballing that's typically indicative of a software issue. While hardware certainly can play into that. Many of the delays that cause beach balls are from software bugs or poorly written applications

3. Labaguette macrumors regular

Hey there,

i have had a Seagate Momentus HD before and was pretty disappointed.
    It was the 7200.4 500GB Drive - noisy, strongly vibrating and i had that annoying "clicking issue".

Maflynn is wrong about the fitting size, i got that 12,5mm 3-platter WD10TPVT in my 13" 2,53 GHz MacBook Pro. this is really a quiet drive AND it is faster than my previous 2-platter 7200rpm drive. ebay seller saselectronics got these for a nice US $167.99 :)

4. jgodden thread starter macrumors member

The Scorpio Blue was the one on newegg with the bad reviews from MBP owners. You are saying you had NO issues with its performance? Also, Will OSX Recognize the 1TB? I was told that 640GB was the highest it would show. If not, ill be getting a 1TB drive instead!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, the 1TB will work. Some people aren't aware that unibody MacBook (Pros) can take 12.5mm drives because usually laptops take only 9mm drives. It works fine without any issues

6. jgodden thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks, ill be looking at the 1TB drives now

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8. jgodden thread starter macrumors member

Yeah i just saw that, its only about $50 more compared to the 640gb i saw at bestbuy, so def. worth the upgrade. I was just concerned about the issues others were having with the drive parking the heads every 5 mins that I read about in the newegg reviews for the 640gb Scorpio Blue.

9. m85476585 macrumors 65816

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would go for the Hitachi 500gb 7200rpm.
    I currently have the 640gb WD that I bought from NewEgg...but I wish I would've gotten the Hitachi...-_-

**the 640 vibrates a lot....and it gets warm quickly...

Plus...if you do buy something, check b&h video, they have decent prices :]