Upgrading the Hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ebutka, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I'm to get a 500gb hard drive for my macbook. Anyone put one in yet?

If I use time machine to back everything up, will it transfer all of my programs, mainly CS3.

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

thinking of doing this as well... i'm not trying to hijack your thread but what is the best speed drive to get? would a 7200 run my fans to death? is a 5400 better?

i'm assuming the link you sent allows you to remove the hard drive from that case then insert that drive into the macbook

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

yes. after cloning your internal drive to the one you've placed in the external case, you remove it from the external case and install it in the macbook. Also, I've heard that many people are happy with the performance gains of moving to a 7200 rpm drive, while others don't notice much difference. When it comes time for me to upgrade, I'm going with the western digital scorpio black 7200 rpm drive. they should run at roughly the same temp as standard 5400 rpm drive

5. consumedsoul macrumors regular

+1 for the WD Scorpio, hopefully the 500gb version will be out soonish.

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

That drive only fits in the 17" MBP as far as I know. It is too tall to go into an MB.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I wanted to get this straight. Is it true that any 2.5", 9.5 mm SATA drive will work in replacing the internal stock HDD of the new glassbook?

8. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

thanks for the heads up!

9. ebutka thread starter macrumors regular

ebutka

are there any 500gb hard drives that will fit in the MB?

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes- if you look at this page on the OWC site you will see that all the drives listed on it are compatible with late 2008 MacBooks (and earlier MacBooks for that matter). The drives shown include 500Gb drives like Samsungs, Western Digital Scorpio Blues and Seagate Momentus drives.

The one listed above may have been a 12.5mm thick drive which will only fit the 17" MBP- but any 9.5mm high 2.5" SATA drive will fit the MB and the other MBPs.

11. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

For a little more money, I would suggest getting the Macally PHR-S250U enclosure. It has both FW and USB2. Firewire is so much faster than USB2 and will make life a little more tolerable.

ft

12. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

When I upgraded my drive I cloned the old one with SuperDuper, but I don't think this is better than using Time Machine. Firstly it copies everything in alphabetical order of file name, which means all of the system files are no longer in an 'economical' order and i think it is slower now to boot.

Secondly Time Machine didn't recognise the new drive so I had to start again with an initial backup, effectively loosing all of my old ones...

I bought a WD Passport drive and took the HDD out of that, although bigger I think it is slower (maybe they use a cheaper version of the blue in the passport) so I am going to buy a Scorpio Black 250 or 320 and do it again, this time with Time Machine.

Anybody know if the 320 GB is any better than the 250 GB, other than in size. I use an external for media and only need about 150-200 GB for my programs, but I want the most reliable, fastest (in that order of priority) drive.

(2.4 BlackBook)

13. ro-76 macrumors member

I have just ordered a Seagate 320gb to upgrade my new macbook. It seems that the cloning programs will not clone both the mac and boot camp partitions. Is it possible to clone both?

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You'd probably have to clone the Windows partition using a Windows app. That's just my guess.

15. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hi- I just answered that for you in the other thread you posted this question in ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6708883#post6708883 ).