Upgrading the HD on a new macbook @ an apple store

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chunkdude, Nov 7, 2007.

1. chunkdude macrumors newbie

so i will be buying a macbook from an apple store tomorrow, and i wanted to upgrade the hard drive from 120 gig to 160 gig. i was wondering if they would do it on the spot, or if i would have to place an order and get it another time. also if done on the spot would it come with leopard installed or would i have to install it off the disc. anyone with experience, i could use your answers. thanks!

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

my friend had them add extra memory to it right after he bought his powerbook and they did it in like an hour, so maybe

3. kufel macrumors newbie

Apple Retail stores do not do hard drive upgrades, you can only get them doing custom orders online.

4. chunkdude thread starter macrumors newbie

damn, i wonder if by chance it will be different in canada.

5. kufel macrumors newbie

sorry mate not as far as Apple Retail is concerned... it is pretty uniform

6. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yeah if you go to macsales they sell hardrives there and they have videos on how to install new memory and hardrives. after watching the video i think its pretty self explanatory.

8. chunkdude thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i know ive checked it out and all, but for 77 bucks i can upgrade from 120 gigs to 160 gigs. for a new 160 gig drive will cost more than 100 bucks easily, and yes i know that would leave me with a second drive but id rather avoid the hassle. apple pricing ram through the roof is one thing, i already have ram ordered from crucial, but the hard drive price will be cheaper in the grand scheme of things

9. chillywilly macrumors 6502a

chillywilly

The one time I asked a Genius bar employee if they replace hard drives for the MacBook Pro, I was told "no, but if you had a MacBook, you could replace the drive yourself."

So I ended up replacing the drive two weeks ago in my MBP CD 2.0ghz. Went from a 100gb to 250gb (newegg had the best price: $165). It was tedious, but it worked. Followed the photos and direction from a couple of sites.

I'm sure it voided my warranty (I've still got 18 months left to my AppleCare), but I now have tons more room to grow. I'm sure if something happens where I need warranty coverage (depending what it is), there may be options for working it out.

10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

unless there is spill damage or something like that that would show up they can't really prove you opened the case, so if you still have the original drive and something goes wrong with your computer you can always just put the old drive back in and send it. hehe.

also... macbooks are a SYNCH to replace the harddrive on compared to most computers. I love the design for that reason... if i didn't need good 3D support for solidworks and product rendering I'd snatch a macbook up in a second :) If you really don't want to wait.. i'd just get the 120 macbook for now.. wait till you NEED a bigger drive (you might not!) and then find a really good deal online for one when the time comes and swap it yourself. You could probably even find a nice 200 or something.

just my 2 cents.