Upgrading The iBooks Video Card

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
3,450
0
England
Is it possible? I know it will muck up your warranty and all, but is it possible to do it, like, physically? Will a service place have a stab at it for me? Its just the video card in the iBook is so weak, and un core image compatible.. :)

Thanks all.
 

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
1,999
150
Burlington, VT
I think the video card is built right into the logic board of the iBook. You would have to replace the whole thing, which I think would be a little expensive and not worth the cost.
 

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
246
0
Down Under
not possible for two reasons:

1)the gpu is soldered onto the ibook's logic board. I don't know of any laptops where this is not the case.
2)there is no laptop GPUs available for you to buy on the consumer market.
 

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
3,450
0
England
:(

Nasty. Meh. I'll have to consider the PowerBooks more again... :S

Thanks guys.
 

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
258
5
john1123 said:
not possible for two reasons:

1)the gpu is soldered onto the ibook's logic board. I don't know of any laptops where this is not the case.
2)there is no laptop GPUs available for you to buy on the consumer market.
#1 - Some PC laptop makers like Dell and Alienware do have some models with removeable video cards.

#2 - You can buy them, you just have to buy them direct from the laptop manufacturer.

I wish Apple would start doing this.
 

john1123

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2005
246
0
Down Under
AdamR01 said:
#1 - Some PC laptop makers like Dell and Alienware do have some models with removeable video cards.

#2 - You can buy them, you just have to buy them direct from the laptop manufacturer.

I wish Apple would start doing this.
i stand corrected.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
AdamR01 said:
#1 - Some PC laptop makers like Dell and Alienware do have some models with removeable video cards.

#2 - You can buy them, you just have to buy them direct from the laptop manufacturer.

I wish Apple would start doing this.
That's a card, which is a pain in the ass to remove from a board then resolder into the iBook.

Not very many places in the consumer market to buy replacement GPUs (aka, bare suface mount versions.)

Can't go to CompUSA, Dell, etc. -- you need the specialty electronic parts suppliers.

Not exactly something that is common, since it's usually easier to replace boards than it is to repair them.
 

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
258
5
Sun Baked said:
That's a card, which is a pain in the ass to remove from a board then resolder into the iBook.

Not very many places in the consumer market to buy replacement GPUs (aka, bare suface mount versions.)

Can't go to CompUSA, Dell, etc. -- you need the specialty electronic parts suppliers.

Not exactly something that is common, since it's usually easier to replace boards than it is to repair them.
I never said it would work. It wouldnt be a pain in the ass, it would be impossible (like you said, the chip is surface mounted). You couldnt just buy any old chip and solder it down. The chips would have to have the same pinout and same inteface. All I said is I wished Apple put removeable video cards in their laptops.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.