Upgrading the internal HD in the 2012+ iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fried Chicken, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Fried Chicken macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

So I bought my iMac in January without the fusion drive, knowing I would want to upgrade my internal HD to an SSD, or manually create a fusion drive by adding a blade SSD.

I'm not worried about tearing my iMac open.

I was hoping a 1TB blade SSD would come along, but alas that hasn't happened, and AFAIK the biggest blade SSD available is the 256GB SSD from the rMBP.

So now it's come down to what SSD looks to be the best one to upgrade to.
    Currently the two best on the market look to be the:
    Crucial M500 1TB
    Or the
    Samsung 840 evo 1TB

Both are around the same price. From what I've read the samsung appears to be faster but the M500 more robust.

Are there any expectations for new 1TB SSDs to come along at the same price point that might be faster/more reliable/better in the near future?
    Or alternatively a much larger blade SSD (even 512GB would suffice) this way you get the advantage of 1. using all available space in the iMac and 2. Gaining the extra room from having the Hard Drive still in the iMac?

I'm not looking to buy right away, but probably in the next 2 months pending funding/deals.

2. Bear macrumors G3

There are blade SSDs up to 768GB that Apple used for the 2012 products.

3. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

Do they fit the iMac?

4. Bear macrumors G3

You might want to read this link for details about the HDs and SSDs in the 2012 and 2013 iMacs.

Apple also offered 768GB SSDs for the 2012 iMac so they fit if you get the correct SSD.

5. Fried Chicken thread starter macrumors 6502

Fried Chicken

This article doesn't explain what SSDs will fit the blade PCI-e-based SSD slot in the iMac.

6. 2trout macrumors member

check out OWC for SSD's, I use theirs exclusively, I am pretty sure they also sell the kits suitable for the iMac.