Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
So I need a little handholding here. I jailbroke my iPhone last year so I could take it overseas, and it worked great and I haven't had to use it much since I got home (replaced it with the iPhone 4). I've been using it a bit recently and have learned the hard way that my mail provider is really not happy about iPhones pre-iOS 4.01 using their exchange service.

So I need some help - I don't actually remember what jailbreak I used when I did it. I think it was the one that was entirely done through Safari, and I did back up whatever things are on the phone that make it easy to JB in the future through Cydia. I hope that makes sense.

So my question is what can I do to upgrade this iPhone a bit, doesn't have to be all the way, but as far as possible? I'm sure there is some info that I need to tell you - baseband or something? My modem firmware is listed as 05.13.04.

Please let me know if you can help guide me through this. I'm very technical, but I just don't know the terminology of the iPhone JB community, the Sn0ws and the rains etc. Thanks!

Upgrade to 4.01 and maintain JB and unlock. That's all I need to do. I am unable to use my exchange email account on the device without that capability. Thanks!

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
So I need a little handholding here. I jailbroke my iPhone last year so I could take it overseas, and it worked great and I haven't had to use it much since I got home (replaced it with the iPhone 4). I've been using it a bit recently and have learned the hard way that my mail provider is really not happy about iPhones pre-iOS 4.01 using their exchange service.

So I need some help - I don't actually remember what jailbreak I used when I did it. I think it was the one that was entirely done through Safari, and I did back up whatever things are on the phone that make it easy to JB in the future through Cydia. I hope that makes sense.

So my question is what can I do to upgrade this iPhone a bit, doesn't have to be all the way, but as far as possible? I'm sure there is some info that I need to tell you - baseband or something? My modem firmware is listed as 05.13.04.

Please let me know if you can help guide me through this. I'm very technical, but I just don't know the terminology of the iPhone JB community, the Sn0ws and the rains etc. Thanks!

Upgrade to 4.01 and maintain JB and unlock. That's all I need to do. I am unable to use my exchange email account on the device without that capability. Thanks!

Can you open Cydia on your phone and tell us if you see "SHSH: IOS......" on top of Welcome to Cydia?

If you don't see anything, then your phone did not SHSH in Cydia Server and you can't upgrade to the latest firmware while preserving the baseband.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Can you open Cydia on your phone and tell us if you see "SHSH: IOS......" on top of Welcome to Cydia?

If you don't see anything, then your phone did not SHSH in Cydia Server and you can't upgrade to the latest firmware while preserving the baseband.

Yes, it says SHSH iPOD 4.0, 4.01, 4.1, 4.2.1+

That sounds promising?

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Last edited:

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
OK, I think I finished. The only question I have is, is it now unlocked or just jailbroken? The last line of the post says "now you can just install unltrasn0w"

What does that mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.