Upgrading the LCD on a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Thetics, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Thetics macrumors regular

Hey guys, is this at all possible? Ive heard of people putting better screens in ther 15 inch, but never on a macbook. Im not talking about an LED screen, although that would be ideal, but just a better screen, maybe Im just picky, but the screen quality on the macbook looks pretty bad, compared to the Air specifically. Any ideas?:D

2. si2000 macrumors newbie

apparently the connectors dont match up...can this be patched? will the x1300/gma950 even support a led?

3. Thetics thread starter macrumors regular

well, it doesnt have to be LED, are there any better quality 13" screens out there that will work with/fit the macbook? Im just looking for maybe, better resolution, better viewing angle, etc.

4. si2000 macrumors newbie

im looking for answers about the led. i have installed aftermarket lcds into makbooks. only yo replace broken screens though. i know they werent oem, but dont remember what type, just that they werent cracked. does anyone know of a good 13.3 lcd replacement? good info anyways as these screens dont last me very long.

5. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Well if getting the macbook screen out is anything like the led of the macbook air, it's a total pain in the butt. But it's your warranty, not mine.

6. Fezzasus macrumors regular

The graphics card doesn't care what the backlight is.

7. si2000 macrumors newbie

i think you should stick with your lcd unless you have problems with it. i dont want to tamper with my machine either unless its to get a led which i dont think is possible. alot can go wrong getting to the connectors. and for the record, in the past apple has denied the broken screen was their responsibility, (perhaps rightfully, a coaster at a party and a pencil on the keyboard), which is fine. but the 1k to replace what i can get for well under 200 in Canada? nuts and pointedly offending. i tamper by necessity:)

8. si2000 macrumors newbie

i realize i dont know very much about flat screens, what about the actual display connector though, is the actual display the same and just the backlight different? less power shouldn't be a problem. i am going to research this further as an option after my year of warranty is up, if im not satisfied with the screen at that point. i will also be adding a 7500k hd and max ram to refresh my purchase...

but back to the original question, what would be the best lcd available to retrofit into a macbook?