Upgrading the MacBook 7.1 (Worth it?)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tander, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Hey guys,

So I have a white MacBook mid 2010 (7.1) laptop. Has 2gb of ram and Lion running on it.

Seriously considering upgrading to 4GB RAM and then at a later stage - a 124gb or 256gb SSD.

Would these upgrades really make that much of a difference? If I upgraded the RAM on it's own for now....worth it?

Thanks all.

2. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

RAM will certainly help multitasking for sure, and jumping from 2 to 4 is a big leap. Maybe consider bumping to 8 considering how cheap it is. I put 8 in my Aluminium Macbook and it works great.

Also, of course a SSD will make a huge difference. That's a given.

3. kaydot macrumors regular

You should absolutely upgrade the RAM. It is the best value for improvement you will see.

If you have the money and you really want perforamnce, also upgrade to SSD. There is a massive thread on here about the improvement the SSD will make on even a 2006 macbook.

4. mwhities, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

mwhities macrumors 6502a

I have the same one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1263845

I upped it to 8Gigs of RAM (Apple says it only supports up to 4 but, it will actually support 8.) In the next few weeks, I'll be upgrading my hard drive too. See the link in my thread.

I'd say yes! It's worth the update.

5. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Being your Macbook is less then 2 years old i wood upgrade the Ram and Hard Drive. it will be alot less $ then buying a new one. :)

6. laptoplover2 macrumors member

Just about definetely

I think that they're both just about definitely worth it. I have the MacBook Late 2009 model (which is almost the exact same mac still, just slightly different processor) and I'm also debating the ram upgrade..

7. Rowf macrumors regular

I ran Lion for a while on 2gb of ram and it was o.k.
    Upgraded to 4gb a couple of months back and now it works really nice.
    Didn't realise that it could use more than 4gb though else I'd have probably maxed it out but 4gb on Lion is fine.

8. AdrianK macrumors 68020

RAM upgrade is a must - definitely shop around because some places sell 8GB for the same price that others sell 4GB.

Also, remember that if you buy an SSD now you can transfer it to a MacBook Pro if you decide to upgrade later, so really it's an investment for the long term.