Upgrading the Macbook Air with a separately purchased SSD to save money?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RR08EvoX, Jan 15, 2008.

1. RR08EvoX macrumors member

Has anyone thought about the option to purchase a solid state hard drive separately and then install in themselves?

I spend a couple hours a day taking apart and re-assembling mac laptops so I am confident this could be done pretty easily. I'd really like to see some more close up actual pictures of the bottom and the internals.

I know the warranty is an issue, but if it can be easily done, I could allways put the old hard drive back if needed.

Any thoughts? Whats a separately purchased 64gb or 128gb SSD go for now anyways? They have got to be available for at least half what apple is charging...

2. RR08EvoX thread starter macrumors member

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

There is some talk about it being soldered in as well. Be patient. Thing is out only on the 6th next month.

If you want to have the maximum flash and strut around on the streets asap, don't be a cheapskate.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd wait until someone opens it up and posts the take apart before spending my money to do this. :rolleyes:

5. RR08EvoX thread starter macrumors member

true, hopefully www.ifixit.com will have a take apart guide as soon as they start shipping... I think replacing that hard drive will be easy, from the limited internal pics I've seen, its going to be a lot easier to take apart then the original 12" powerbook, just to remove the freaking optical drive on that id have to take out the logicboard.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. Reason077 macrumors 68000

Reason077

64GB SSDs are still hard to come by in the retail market, but if you can find one you're looking at around US$1000. Since the SSD option is "only" a $999 upgrade (for the 1.6ghz model), I don't think it'd be worth it.

If the price of SSDs drops significantly in the coming months, it might be an option.

8. RR08EvoX thread starter macrumors member

^^ i dont know if i believe that, these things are hand assembled and when something breaks, they get hand dissassembled and fixed, i doubt they really make the hard drive that inaccessable, hard drives are allways something a mac genius can swap out in the back room

9. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Well, as noted above, it's not easy to find a 64gb ssd for under $1000. In fact, many of the most popular online suppliers sell them for around $1500. Sure, the price will come down over the next 6 - 12 months, but in the meantime you may as well let Apple install it for you.

10. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

11. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

that's why" I just bit the bullet now" and got the MBA w/ SSD:D

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well alright then, we will allow you to be the guinea pig and void your warranty and show us how it's done and if things mess up for you it will save us all a lot of headache. :p

13. meagain macrumors 68030

Like the battery that everyone said was soldered and turns out really isn't?

14. apple4665 macrumors newbie

upgrading hard drive on Macbook Air

Hi Mike,

I saw your posting regarding upgrading the hard drive on an AIR. I bought the 11 inch 256 gig yesterday and am now wondering if I should have purchased the 64 gig and just upgraded the hard drive myself. But I'd be interested in upgrading to a 500 gig if possible. Have any insights?

Thanks!
    alisonlefevre@gmail.com

15. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Great job on resurrecting a 2008 thread. Good luck!