Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Has anyone thought about the option to purchase a solid state hard drive separately and then install in themselves?

I spend a couple hours a day taking apart and re-assembling mac laptops so I am confident this could be done pretty easily. I'd really like to see some more close up actual pictures of the bottom and the internals.

I know the warranty is an issue, but if it can be easily done, I could allways put the old hard drive back if needed.

Any thoughts? Whats a separately purchased 64gb or 128gb SSD go for now anyways? They have got to be available for at least half what apple is charging...

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
There is some talk about it being soldered in as well. Be patient. Thing is out only on the 6th next month.

If you want to have the maximum flash and strut around on the streets asap, don't be a cheapskate.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
true, hopefully http://www.ifixit.com will have a take apart guide as soon as they start shipping... I think replacing that hard drive will be easy, from the limited internal pics I've seen, its going to be a lot easier to take apart then the original 12" powerbook, just to remove the freaking optical drive on that id have to take out the logicboard.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
64GB SSDs are still hard to come by in the retail market, but if you can find one you're looking at around US$1000. Since the SSD option is "only" a $999 upgrade (for the 1.6ghz model), I don't think it'd be worth it.

If the price of SSDs drops significantly in the coming months, it might be an option.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
^^ i dont know if i believe that, these things are hand assembled and when something breaks, they get hand dissassembled and fixed, i doubt they really make the hard drive that inaccessable, hard drives are allways something a mac genius can swap out in the back room

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Well, as noted above, it's not easy to find a 64gb ssd for under $1000. In fact, many of the most popular online suppliers sell them for around $1500. Sure, the price will come down over the next 6 - 12 months, but in the meantime you may as well let Apple install it for you.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
Well, as noted above, it's not easy to find a 64gb ssd for under $1000. In fact, many of the most popular online suppliers sell them for around $1500. Sure, the price will come down over the next 6 - 12 months, but in the meantime you may as well let Apple install it for you.
that's why" I just bit the bullet now" and got the MBA w/ SSD:D

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
true, hopefully http://www.ifixit.com will have a take apart guide as soon as they start shipping... I think replacing that hard drive will be easy, from the limited internal pics I've seen, its going to be a lot easier to take apart then the original 12" powerbook, just to remove the freaking optical drive on that id have to take out the logicboard.

Well alright then, we will allow you to be the guinea pig and void your warranty and show us how it's done and if things mess up for you it will save us all a lot of headache. :p

apple4665

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2012
upgrading hard drive on Macbook Air

Hi Mike,

I saw your posting regarding upgrading the hard drive on an AIR. I bought the 11 inch 256 gig yesterday and am now wondering if I should have purchased the 64 gig and just upgraded the hard drive myself. But I'd be interested in upgrading to a 500 gig if possible. Have any insights?

Thanks!
alisonlefevre@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.