Upgrading the MBP HD with a Scorpio?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jun 30, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Will it create problems if I put a 7200 rpm drive in place where a 5400 rpm drive was (ie noise, vibrations)? I really think that the 500 GB Scorpio would be better than the one Apple gives since I'm sure all they do is just slap an Apple logo on it. But if I put in a new HD before I even turn on the new MBP, how does Leopard still install onto it? Is Leopard going to be on the 160 GB HD that comes with it, or somewhere else in the computer, or the packaging? Is it really easy to switch out for someone who's never done this before? You just unscrew it (what type of screwdriver?), detach the HD, and put in the new one, simple as that?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You could be right there. Though I would of thought the 7200's use a little more current as they spin up and down but i could be wrong.

Technically Apple don't do anything with their drives besides change the label and partition them for their machines. I been using aftermarket drives in all my machines and they've all been trouble free!!

Snow Leopard on the other hand I'm not sure... In theory Apple will pre-install the OS, so you can power up and use it. Don't worry, Apple does supply you the disk too without additional charge.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

The hard drive will work. You will need free software such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper and an external drive or enclosure to make a exact, bootable copy of your original drive.
    It is also easy to physically replace the drive if you have the right tools.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will need to format your new drive anyway

Boot from the disk that comes with your new computer
    Format the new drive
    Install Leopard from the disk you booted with

If you have data from a previous Mac, you can install from:

Time Machine back up (use the Leopard disk to access and restore)
    Migration Assistant (use Target Disk Mode from the old computer)
    Clone (you can restore or use Migration Assistant from this)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the help guys, hopefully I can order this today and be done with it! One last question: I'd like to customize this laptop of course, but can I do that in an Apple store? If I don't decide to get the Scorpio, and want the low end 13" MBP with 4GB RAM and a 320GB HD, can I get that specific MBP from the Apple Store, or only online? And if I buy online, can I take it to any Apple Store and they'll fix it for me (what's the warranty that comes with it?)?

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No. CTO is only online and shipped direct from China. Some Apple stores have extra options in stock, but you would have to call and ask the store.

7. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

I see, but I can still take the MBP to an Apple store if it has any problems right (assuming the laptop comes with 1 year AppleCare)?

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

9. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

On 2nd thought, I think I just might not upgrade. I'll lose 180 GB, but on my Acer Laptop which came with a mere 130 GB, I still have more than 40 left, and when I start anew on this MBP, I'll just bring my iTunes collection, photos, download some programs, it'll probably all take less than 10 GB, so I'm just taking it easy and sticking with the 320 GB HD.

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

best thing to do is go ahead and order the thing w/ a really good processor (since that can't be upgraded) and do the rest of the stuff (extra ram, hd) your self since that will probably be cheaper. but I you do all that, make sure you keep the oem parts just incase you ever need some warranty work (put the old stuff back in to avoid issues). if you still decide to do the upgrade later check here for some good visuals for the actual DIY: http://www.ifixit.com

11. will0407 macrumors 6502a

leopard won't be on it when you first install it, you'll need to boot from the disk, format the drive, then install leopard on it- plenty of guides online.

12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I order the BTO 7200rpm drive with my MBP and I was able to take it to the Apple store to have it repaired. It did take them two days to repair it, since they didn't have the same HD in stock, but they did take care of it.

On a side note -

One thing you might consider (I've been doing a lot of research on HDs for a Mini I want to purchase) is the 5400 WD Scorpio Blue. Based off reviews I've seen it is really fast and dependable drive. There are A LOT of glowing reviews.

Just my $.02.

13. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

watch out though... My friend was refused warranty repair when they learned that he replaced his HD....